Why are the rear ends of cars always the dirtiest part?

Options
2»

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    adonis wrote: »
    And you shouldn't drive with the rear boot or hatch open to carry long stuff for the same reason and it usually says so in the car handbook

Indeed....

Always keep the rear access closed in order to avoid toxic fumes and offensive odours :rotfl:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I always drive in reverse so the rear end is always clean.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sleazy wrote: »
    My rear end is also my dirtiest part
    no skid marks I hope
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adonis wrote: »
    And you shouldn't drive with the rear boot or hatch open to carry long stuff for the same reason and it usually says so in the car handbook

All you need to do is equalise the pressure by winding down the front windows.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The front wheels are the dirtiest part of my car.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mention of the Sierra reminded me of the Mk. 1 when it was first sold. The "jelly-mould" shape caused airflow problems at the rear and an unsafe "twitch" from the rear of the car around bends. This was investigated and a very simple cure was effected by small plastic strakes to the rear of the small rear side windows. ("C" pillar)

This broke up the airflow into a vortex at each side and stopped the "twitch". A similar but reverse solution applied to aircraft, with "winglets" at the ends of wings, breaking up a vortex into an upward spiral, instead of creating a vortex.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    its the front wheels that disturb the dirt/mud off the floor and kick it up. that is why front allows are always dirtier. the dirt become airborne and spreads out and sticks at the back of the vehicle.

the bonnet and bumper tend to get clear as the high speed wind hitting it tends to lift off dirt abd debris from it
  • Strider590
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    A similar but reverse solution applied to aircraft, with "winglets" at the ends of wings, breaking up a vortex into an upward spiral, instead of creating a vortex.

Those things help to reduce the length of the wing and increase fuel efficiency. I read somewhere that without those the wing would need to be upto another 50% longer.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    My MX5 doesn't have a rear window washer, but strangely the rear window never gets dirty, either the hardtop or the ragtop. I guess it is due to the shape of the car.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Strider590
    Options
    its the front wheels that disturb the dirt/mud off the floor and kick it up. that is why front allows are always dirtier. the dirt become airborne and spreads out and sticks at the back of the vehicle.

the bonnet and bumper tend to get clear as the high speed wind hitting it tends to lift off dirt abd debris from it

Hmmmm, not so sure, perhaps in corners they take on more dirt, but the biggest difference is brake dust, the front brakes work much harder than the rears.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure