Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Nationwide8
    • By Nationwide8 5th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    • 335Posts
    • 136Thanks
    Tesco Bank
    • 5th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    Tesco Bank 5th Nov 16 at 8:45 PM
    44 mins and counting for Tesco Bank to answer the phone after I rec an e-mail from their Fraud dept asking to contact them Urgently..

Great customer service..

46 mins now..

FORUM TEAM EDIT: [OFFICIAL MSE NEWS POST: 'Tesco Bank halts online transactions after money taken from 20,000 current accounts']
    Last edited by Former MSE Matt; 07-11-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Page 4
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Nov 16, 8:50 AM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    I have not had any fraudulent activity on my account. Current and available balance the same. Moving money out now.

I wonder if the fraud has only occurred on "inactive" accounts??
    Originally posted by djpailo
    I've had fraudulent activity on one of my accounts. I haven't used either of the debit cards, but the account are definitely not 'inactive'.
    • inchindown
    • By inchindown 6th Nov 16, 8:51 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Smart move if it's all the money you have in the world. But unnecessary if it's just a small part of your savings portfolio.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I have a few quid, but not enough to have a "Portfolio".

I live on my pensions, so don't want to risk getting tied up in any delay in getting fraudulent transactions refunded.
    • savings my hobby
    • By savings my hobby 6th Nov 16, 8:54 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    savings my hobby
    Sounds like there may have been a data breach at a retailer somewhere (rather than at Tesco itself). It has happened before (with credit cards):

Although some people reporting here they have never used their cards??
    Originally posted by mt99
    Unlikely, If this is the case then why is money missing from my tesco account when I only use it to earn interest and ping S.O's to other accounts?

I used the card once at a cash machine when it first arrived and I withdrew £10 ages ago.

Tesco's security has failed I should think.

Hope this does not continue and I hope this does not affect my S.O's

So anyway I phoned them, gave up after 20mins because my free minutes ran out weeks ago and I have probably spent more on hold then got took.
    Last edited by savings my hobby; 06-11-2016 at 8:57 AM.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 8:55 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Bizarre, they have just responded to a question on Twitter. Unfortunately the question was about how to open a second account and the answer was give them a call which is probably not a good idea today!
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 6th Nov 16, 8:56 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 3,922 Thanks
    The poor service is a reason to move all your money! They could have....
    1) Used their website and social media to tell people what was happening
    2) Changed the message on their phone line to say there is no point waiting and explaining what had happened
    3) Sent a follow up text and email to everyone explaining the situation

Instead they are staying silent and letting people wait on the line for hours.

I pity anyone who's trying to get through to report their card lost or stolen at this time!!
    Originally posted by TheBanker
    Agree completely that their response is very poor. And completely unacceptable.

Their ongoing silence is bizarre.

If I was using Tesco as my main bank I'd be considering moving completely.

But as I and many others are using it for the 3% interest, and have used up all the other 'high' interest options it makes no sense to move money out in protest at a hiccup in service, however unsettling it is, as I'd lose that interest and so would end up just moving it back again.
    • Nationwide8
    • By Nationwide8 6th Nov 16, 8:57 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Have just moved Current account money into a savings account,the available balances seem to be what they should.Thought as early Sunday would try ringing again but after reading above posts not hanging on the line again
    Also checked twitter tescohelp and they are really is shoddy that no word from them at this stage on website,Twitter or informative message on telephone nos.
    Am going to move money out completely though now as obs VERY serious breach of their security.
    It's good they caught it in my case but until sorted won't move money back.
    Last edited by Nationwide8; 06-11-2016 at 9:16 AM.
    • inchindown
    • By inchindown 6th Nov 16, 9:07 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Maybe everybody should send a text to the BBC (61124) and see if they will take it up on the air. Might get Tesco to act then.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Nov 16, 9:08 AM
    • 10,809 Posts
    • 7,115 Thanks
    Their approach does seem poor, and is a failing in their response systems.

I had a tax and email to call them around 5:30, got up at 7:00 and called them and got through in a little less than half an hour, this was credit card department.

Woman was polite but a bit frazzled, confused sort code and account number and then asked for different security numbers, and after all that just said someone would call back but it would be be a few hours.

I said that there weren't any valid transactions on my account and she did confirm staright away that it's the banks liability for fraud but why inconvenience so many customers and their own staff to achieve nothing.

They could have just put a block on accounts and a note in the website to say it was suspended, many people wouldn't have noticed until they had resolved things at their end.
    • MelanieHarries
    • By MelanieHarries 6th Nov 16, 9:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Spent 51 minutes on hold to get through to a guy who had been drafted in to take calls from another part of the call centre who couldn't really tell me anything, just saying I would get a call back within 48 hours.
    I was slightly concerned when the automated message said "Tesco Bank take your security very serious" as we are always advised to look out for "bad English" as a sign of a scam. It seems Tesco must have had a massive breach. Nothing wrong with my account, but moving money out just in case.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 6th Nov 16, 9:24 AM
    • 18,591 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    Both my current accounts appear to be fine even though it's one account that has received the fraud message - I can only assume the transaction was blocked. Available balance and actual balance is what I expect.

Since moved money from both to Internet savings account with Tesco which I would hope would be fine. Just wondering whether to move it completely out as I have a larger amount there.
    • patientperson
    • By patientperson 6th Nov 16, 9:24 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    I am presently in the Netherlands and received an e.mail as has already been mentioned by most users. I logged on and can see that on one account an amount of £20.63 is the difference between the available balance and actual balance. My other account seems okay. As with most posters these accounts are for savings and the debit cards are safely locked up. After trying the overseas number to contact Tesco I went off to make some coffee after almost 20 minutes. I then thought of MSE and bingo it is a wide spread problem so I expect hundreds of people are trying to get through on the phone. Thank goodness for MSE.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 9:27 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Paul Lewis from the BBC has Tweeted asking if anyone knows of a problem. erp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor Unfortunately he quoted the wrong twitter handle for Tesco but if you are on Twitter it may be worth trying to get his attention as a call from him to the Tesco press office may elicit more of a response than the customers seem able to.
    • steve65e
    • By steve65e 6th Nov 16, 9:28 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    I've had the texts and emails but my accounts are ok. My partner has £20 missing but hasn't been contacted.

We've moved everything across to the savings accounts for now.
    • Sunshine62
    • By Sunshine62 6th Nov 16, 9:32 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Accounts Checked and OK!
    My 'inactive' account received the Email and Text, have been in to check and all seems OK, recent payments are just interest.

OH does not seem to have an messages and his account is in constant use....all seems OK there.

Spent a while trying to get through but had inkling there was a widespread problem when they didnt answer at 8 on a Sunday. Why send such a message when they could have explained better so as to stop having everyone calling them.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 6th Nov 16, 9:34 AM
    • 18,591 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    Spent a while trying to get through but had inkling there was a widespread problem when they didnt answer at 8 on a Sunday. Why send such a message when they could have explained better so as to stop having everyone calling them.
    Originally posted by Sunshine62
    Quite probably an automated message but should now be being handled better than it is.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 6th Nov 16, 9:42 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Had the text and email. My available balance is what it should be but my balance is quite small. I'm only using the account for the bonus points at tesco.

Been on hold for 30 mins

• Shedman
    • By Shedman 6th Nov 16, 9:44 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    "We've moved everything across to the savings accounts for now."

Ditto - I'm doing likewise. Not worth the hassle of having to go through fraud team if anything happens for sake of a few quid in interest. Once they put out a statement about it and confirm they have an answer then I'll put it back
    Last edited by Shedman; 06-11-2016 at 9:46 AM.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 9:45 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    I got through - the woman couldn't do anything other than take my number for someone to call me back.

She said she had been working til 1am then was back in at 8am so she has my sympathy.

Tesco Bank management seem to have their heads in the sand and are letting everyone down (except people who Tweeted yesterday with questions about car insurance, who seem to be getting responses!)
    • castlehills1
    • By castlehills1 6th Nov 16, 9:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Confirmed Fraud
    Checked my balance this morning, over £600 light, Phoned Tesco bank (on hold for 1 hours 16 minutes) and did some online digging whilst on hold. Spoke to a lad named Luca who confirmed fraud in big scale, Securites team dealing with it now and will call back within 48 hours. Luca confirmed that once sorted all funds will be back in my account (Timescale unknown) and logged the complaint with an offer of £25 as a goodwill gesture. At this stage I have had my account dipped by over £600, and have £21.88 left.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 6th Nov 16, 9:55 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Their poor Twitter team seem oblivious. They must be remote/home based as it sounds like everyone else in Tesco HQ is having fun answering phone calls.... they couldn't possibly be in the same building and not realise something is up!!

Another vote for internal security breach. Only way these cards for the 'savings' current accounts could have their number acquired.

Shame I'd love to work in IT security at a bank but need a credit check to make sure I don't steal customers money...... rather ironic after today!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,905Posts Today

7,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Wow miracles do happen. I've done a political twitter poll today and (so far) no one has attacked me after confusi?

• I must admit I'd expected the same two to top both the 'best' and 'worst' PM (of the last 4) poll. Yet (and it's?

• Today's Friday twitter poll 2: Which of the last four UK Prime Ministers would you say was the worst? (To pick th?

• Follow Martin