I want to paint some pine bedroom furniture

I just want to know what the best effect would be. I want it to look like I have bought it, already painted, and not that I've just done a quick makeover on it!! I would like an antique cream (but not a distressed look - just plain). I don't want it to be glossy, but then not too matt looking either. I have 2 bedside cabinets, and 2 chest of drawers. They are very dated and I've had them for about 15 years, but I cannot afford to get new furniture.

Thanks.
x

Comments

• emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just painted a chest of drawers using crown period eggshell Old English White. It's a very soft cream colour and looks matt with only a slight sheen when you look on it from an angle. I did a coat of primer, one of undercoat and then two of the cream and I gave it a good sand to start with and then lightly sanded between each coat. I used a good brush - I tried rollering it but I got a better finish with the brush. I'm really pleased with how it looks as it doesnt look home-painted at all.
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've used Dulux satinwood with great success on a pine bedding box and chair, I used a gloss roller and the finish is fabulous!
  • ashli_2
    ashli_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    I did this to all my bedroom furniture. I bought mismatched furniture second hand and painted it all up to match. It looks wonderful, it turned out better than I had hoped it would. I used Homebase Quick drying Satinwood in powderpuff, I wouldn't normally recommend cheaper paint but this one was brilliant. Water based too so no faffing around with white spirit.

A quick sand down, more if the furniture is shiny. I didn't use a primer but had to do a good few coats of paint...using a primer first might well be cheaper. I found that the paint by itself own chipped easily so I finished off with a couple of coats of clear satin varnish.

It is a bit labour intensive but the results really are worth it. Everybody who has seen it can never believe that it isn't a matching set, or that it isn't new. It's one of my best moneysaving efforts, a 'new' set of solid wood matching bedroom furniture for £50 tops. :j
    Total Original Debt: £30404.24
    Current debt: £18586.16
    Total Paid: £11857.74 38.95% :T
  • Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    I' d painted a full set of 'modern' pine furniture and it came out very nicely. I sanded to break down the laquer finish, then used a coat of primer, then two coats of eggshell paint. I used a gloss roller, but that only works well on the 'flat bits', if you have moulding, etc, a brush is better. Several very thin coats is better than thick ones. I did go for a more antiqued finish so used an antique wax over the top.

The finish is absolutely fine several months later. It is a great way to update old or cheap 'orange' looking pine furniture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure