Is it possible to get Barclaycard Initial 6 years after BR?

Hi all,

I was just wondering, if it's possible to get the Barclaycard Initial credit card once the bankruptcy has dropped off the credit file (6 years after the BR)?

The reason I ask is I was looking on their site and it says,

"An Initial Credit Card could be right for you, if:
* You have never been declared bankrupt"

This sounds to me like they will never accept an ex bankrupt even if it has dropped off your file?

Thanks a lot,
Izzy

Comments

• Apparently there has been a few other members who have managed to obtain a barclaycard post bankruptcy, i think its hit or miss with a lot of lenders, however if they do not ask "Have you EVER been declared bankrupt" then you may get one as they cant see something if its not there (bankruptcy falls off after 6 years)

So it all hinges on that one question...If they ask have you been declared bankrupt in the last three years then obviously you can tick "no" :)

Oh and if Barclaycard were part of your bankruptcy then they may have a permanent record and therefore not offer you a card - think this is why HBOS refuse to offer me a full current account or credit card as they were the lender that made up most of my bankruptcy, however their now parent company Lloyds offered me a full classic account, but again probably because their systems arent fully integrated quite yet.
    Any input I provide is purely my own interpretation and is in no way 100% accurate, I will try to help as best I can in all cases.

If you feel one of my posts have helped you in any way please click the "Thanks" button :)
  • Izzy123456
    Izzy123456 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2012 at 10:46PM
    Thanks a lot vindicated! Ok, I have checked the application form and there does not appear to be a box to tick to say if you were ever BR, so I guess it's all right on that front.

... however, Barclays were part of my bankruptcy. I have a visa debit account with them now, so at least they gave me that.

I wonder if they'll never give me a credit card now? I would imagine they do have a record of my BR with them.

Anyone sucessfully get a Barclaycard after having Barclays as part of the BR?
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Barclays refused me and thats nearly 5yrs discharged
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • vindicated
    vindicated Posts: 112 Forumite
    Izzy123456 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot vindicated! Ok, I have checked the application form and there does not appear to be a box to tick to say if you were ever BR, so I guess it's all right on that front.

... however, Barclays were part of my bankruptcy. I have a visa debit account with them now, so at least they gave me that.

I wonder if they'll never give me a credit card now? I would imagine they do have a record of my BR with them.

Anyone sucessfully get a Barclaycard after having Barclays as part of the BR?

They might offer you one, especially if they've provided a full current account with overdraft - You can only apply and see what their actual decision will be :)
    Any input I provide is purely my own interpretation and is in no way 100% accurate, I will try to help as best I can in all cases.

If you feel one of my posts have helped you in any way please click the "Thanks" button :)
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    I cannot remember anyone getting a Barclaycard in the 2 years I have been frequenting this forum.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • EmmaHerts
    EmmaHerts Posts: 313 Forumite
    dojoman wrote: »
    I cannot remember anyone getting a Barclaycard in the 2 years I have been frequenting this forum.

God, really? I just applied for this card to build up my credit history. Looks like it might have been a mistake if they turn everyone down!
  • Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not necessarily that Barclaycard turns every BR down, could be several reason why a successful application hasn't been seen on the board, such as very few have applied and nobody successful has posted.

Dojo was just saying he's not seen anyone on the board getting one in the last 2 years. We can only go on what's posted by members for us to read.

Try a forum search for 'Barclaycard' to see if anyone has posted that they've applied.
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • Helenxx
    Helenxx Posts: 1 Newbie
    Just to let everyone know that I have recently been accepted for a Barclaycard Initial Card with a limit of just £150, but still ....

I was made bankrupt in July 2009 and discharged in July 2010 so it is 2.5 years since BR and 1.5 years since discharge!

I have a Vanquis credit card which i have used VERY responsibly and I applied for the Barclaycard as I wanted to try to get a credit card with a lower interest rate!

:T
  • bigbopper69
    bigbopper69 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2012 at 8:01PM
    I managed to get a barclay card initial with a credit limit of £250, this was 6 years after BR, but I did apply for a currant account first and I was totally honest with them, i wouldn't try to hide anything because in the end that was possibly the problem at the start and as for the credit limit i was more than happy, i would have been happy with a £10 limit as the whole point of getting it in the first place wasn't for the money but to help prove that you can handle it, thank you barclays for all help given. :T
  • My bankruptcy dropped off my file this week. Did the pre application checker with Barclays and it gave me the option of the platinum simplicty, platinum purchases or the initial. Opted for the platinum simplicity at 7.9% and it went through straight away. Far better than the capital one classic at 39.9%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure