santander direct debit problem

i set up my 123 credit card direct debit last month and the first payment was due this month but didnt go through because santander said it wasnt processed in time they have a 28 day dd set up time limit

so long story short i came back from holiday last wednesday and the next day i received a default notice in the post and then found out that my 123 cc had been blocked. so needless to say i contacted santander straight away to find out why the dd hadnt been taken and why my cc has been blocked and was advised to make a manual payment and that they would refund the default charge which is good however what they wont do is remove the late payment record on my credit history :(

does anyone know if i can get them to remove this late payment record on my credit history, i had the money in my current account to pay the dd and was expecting this to happen and its seems unfair to me that they wont remove the late payment record on my credit history

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    No, is the short answer. I agree it sucks, but this is largely an automated process and as it reflects the true nature of the account, you cannot insist upon removal.

That said, I would argue that, as they have agreed to refund the default charges due to their inability to call on the DD in time, a reversal of the late payment (that's all it is) NOT a default, be amended also.

Even if they refuse, this is no big deal, as long as the subsequent payments are made on time.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Buzby wrote: »
    That said, I would argue that, as they have agreed to refund the default charges due to their inability to call on the DD in time, a reversal of the late payment (that's all it is) NOT a default, be amended also.
    They've refunded as a gesture of goodwill, ie without an admission of liability. ;)

OP, the DD needs to be in place before the statement is generated. Was it?

I'm surprised they didn't tell you this when you set it up (either online or via phone), or in the DDI confirmation letter they sent you...normally says something along the lines of "until you see the message on your statement confirming the DD is set up please continue to make payments by alternative means".
  • buzi
    buzi Posts: 139 Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »
    No, is the short answer. I agree it sucks, but this is largely an automated process and as it reflects the true nature of the account, you cannot insist upon removal.

Even if they refuse, this is no big deal, as long as the subsequent payments are made on time.
    yes hopefully the dd work from now on and while it isnt a major deal its still a black mark on my credit history that shouldnt be there
  • buzi
    They've refunded as a gesture of goodwill, ie without an admission of liability. ;)

OP, the DD needs to be in place before the statement is generated. Was it?

I'm surprised they didn't tell you this when you set it up (either online or via phone), or in the DDI confirmation letter they sent you...normally says something along the lines of "until you see the message on your statement confirming the DD is set up please continue to make payments by alternative means".
    i dont recall getting a ddi confirmation letter after it was set up or a statement before the dd was set up. ive only just opened up the 123 cashback account and when i spoke to the advisor to set up the dd i was under the impression it was all sorted and the dd was good to go

ive never had this sort of problem with other dd that have been set up and cant understand why it takes so long for a bank to set up a dd. i mean they are only moving money from my 123 current acct to my 123 credit card acct.

what puzzles me is why they cant take out the money at anytime up to the 28 days because ive already authorised them to do so by setting up a dd.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    buzi wrote: »
    what puzzles me is why they cant take out the money at anytime up to the 28 days because ive already authorised them to do so by setting up a dd.
    What you've suffered is one of the drawbacks of the DD guarantee, which is meant to 'look after' the interests of the consumer.

Under the terms of the DD guarantee, the originator must give you 10 working days notice of both the amount and date to be collected. The only mechanism they have for doing so is the statement. So if your statement had already been produced then they couldn't take payment by DD against that statement.

For future reference, the best time to set up a CC DD is the day after your statement has been produced. You're then guaranteed it'll be in place in time for the next statement 28 days later, and that statement's payment due date which will be some 56 days later.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,806 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Did the statement state "£xx will be collected by direct debit on", if not then there is not a lot you can do.
  • buzi
    What you've suffered is one of the drawbacks of the DD guarantee, which is meant to 'look after' the interests of the consumer.

Under the terms of the DD guarantee, the originator must give you 10 working days notice of both the amount and date to be collected. The only mechanism they have for doing so is the statement. So if your statement had already been produced then they couldn't take payment by DD against that statement.

For future reference, the best time to set up a CC DD is the day after your statement has been produced. You're then guaranteed it'll be in place in time for the next statement 28 days later, and that statement's payment due date which will be some 56 days later.
    i didnt know about the 10 days working notice, i dont get this with other dd's like mortgage etc but im not bothered because i just want the dd to work and not have the hassle im getting now at santander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure