Free biomass boiler offer, good or bad ?

Hi, This may be already covered and if so, please point me in the right direction. I am considering changing my 28 year old oil heating boiler for a wood pellet system. I have a wood burner so I am quite used to cutting and carrying logs so filling a boiler with bags of pellets is no problem !. There are companies out there which are offering a free biomass boiler on the condition that they collect the Renewable Heat Incentive payment. Does any body have any experience of this ?. I would be grateful to know of others experience and also advice from anybody who can contribute. It is my intention to sell my 3 bedroom property in the next 10 years so do you think this will affect the sale ?. My property has cavity wall insulation and 250mm of loft insulation installed. Any advice, observations and contact from others already signed up would be most grateful. Thank you in advance !

Comments

• Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    Someone contacted me recently on a related matter - and they were on a similar scheme. I don't know if the payment is related to the amount of heat generated or just an average for the boiler - but the thing they had was going through 8 x 10 kilo bags per day. Seemed a tad excessive for an average sized house - but biomass boilers do need to be set up properly - I imagine there will be a fair few firms installing them just for the government handouts who will have very little idea about how to set them up right. So be careful!
  • dyrniboy
    dyrniboy Posts: 64 Forumite
    Hi, and thank you, I am assuming that to claim the RHI that both the boiler and installer has to be MCS registered and therefore design and install the system to a certain standard ?. Does any one know if the MCS certification has a good redress system if anythin goes wrong ?.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Since the "degression" of the RHI tariffs I would very much doubt that such schemes are still on offer.
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    I would have about as much confidence in MCS accreditation as I do in HETAS registration. In practice it usually just means that the person or business has coughed up the joining fee. My kids could do a better job than some of the HETAS monkeys I've come across.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A free boiler and install, or just a free boiler? If the former, then no doubt the install cost will be consequently inflated.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • TFEC
    TFEC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Can someone tell me why my post was deleted?

Are certain individuals scared of facts?

Would they rather the site was full of speculation and lies?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    TFEC wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why my post was deleted?

Are certain individuals scared of facts?

Would they rather the site was full of speculation and lies?

I'm assuming as you were advertising your own deal for £150 up front and your web site

nothing wrong with free advice but the forum rules do not allow advertising or self promotion

by all means offer advice
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • TFEC
    TFEC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thank you for letting me know.

As we are the only company still doing Free Biomass in the UK, I am happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport