Still here and still plugging away at my debts

Options
I am in 2 minds whether to carry on working to be honest-I earn £476 but after I have paid rent and council tax ,meals for the kids(no more free school meals)etc I end up with £60 a month extra, which isn't a lot to be honest is it?Not for 70 hours a week.The lady at the council offices told me I'd be better off going back on benefits and getting a Saturday job as I'd be allowed to keep the first £20 a week from that, making me £80 better off a month.I'm not keen on going back on benefits but I really don't think I can carry on like this.It's 70 hours a month that I could be at home in,cooking or something,whereas at the moment my house is a mess and we eat out too often as I'm too tired to cook(I have 4 children).I've been working now since October and I'm really not able to pay any extra off my debts like I was hoping to.I'm still considering bankruptcy actually as I'm really struggling with the money I'm getting.I thought working would help but it really doesn't.I'm so tired all the time and irritable with the kids.I'm also using a lot more on petrol for travelling to work etc.I don't know...I think I've pretty much decided to give up work but not sure about the bankruptcy side of things yet.I would prefer to pay off my debts and I have been doing that since August last year but it's getting to be more and more of a struggle.
Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs

Comments

• LookingAhead
    Options
    I think I'd be tempted to give up work too to be honest if it really works out like that.

I'd be relieved to get the house in order, dedicate some time to the children and stop the eating out cycle.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. :)
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Toomuchdebt,

Just wanted to say try and keep your chin up. Looking at your signature you have paid nearly 10% of your debt already within 4 months. thats pretty good going by anyone standards let alone having 4 kids to care for too.

Why not repost your SOA and see if there is anymore room for improvement.

Have you managed to stop the interest on your debts by contacting the creditors?

Have you been in contact with the CCCS or National Debt Helpline?

You are not alone and we all get down at some point. try not to let them get you down
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    It does sound like a lot of hassle for very little comeback for you.

Why don't you see if there are any more benefits you could be entitled to:

www.entitledto.co.uk

Good luck
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi
    Well done for all you've achieved so far with your debt repayments. I agree, a first glance it doesn't seem like much incentive to carry on working, especially if you are getting down about it. Post your SOA again and we'll see what we can do?

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    Options
    i also agree. I hear more and more people like this and are totally worn out because of it all. I use to spend far more money by going to work than at home.

goodluck what ever you decide.
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all-I posted my SOA before and it's all the same as it used to be-I can't pay less on anything than I already do-changed my car insurance,changed my broadband,mobile is £15 a month for 500 minutes and 500 texts,got rid of pet insurance,can't save on house insurance as had a claim in April 2006 and all the ones on Quidco say you have to be claim free for a year...um what else...can't get any more benefits-am getting everything I can.The only thing I could stop is my 2 eldest's violin lessons-but they are subsidised through the school and cost £40 each for a term(private lessons are £10 an hour so that wouldn't be an option)-they really enjoy these,and it wouldn't make a lot of difference if I cut them out.I have sold most things-going to put some stuff on ebay this week.
    I have contacted all my creditors myself and most agreed to reduce interest rates and some froze the interest too.One has just contacted me to say my interest free period has ended but if I send in my income/expenditure again they will review it.I know I've done well paying off what I have paid off but the trouble is it's just minimums-no extra available to pay anything off quicker-and there's nothing left in the budget for eg dentists,emergencies,birthdays etc, and certainly nothing for clothes,opticians,prescriptions etc.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • southern_chick
    Options
    Ho toomuchdebt

i know its not a lot of help but i assume you get working and child tax credits, if so then your dentist/opticians and prescription charges should be covered

good luck SC xx
    slowly working towards being MF one small over payment at a time :T
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Ho toomuchdebt

i know its not a lot of help but i assume you get working and child tax credits, if so then your dentist/opticians and prescription charges should be covered

good luck SC xx

Hiya-dentists-kids are covered-I am not
    opticians-some help is available but I don't get the full help for some reason
    prescriptions-actually yes you're right I do get those free :)

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello TMD :)

Long time no see!

I agree with LA. If this is the situation, it's not worth the 70 hours plus away from your kids.

I know you will make the right decision.

Take care xx
    Leason learnt :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family