Who are TMTI and why are they taking money from me?

Comments

• Mobiles.co.uk and other websites are in this robbery. i paid 10 pounds for mobile and then 24 pounds for this insurance...
    never get any email that i opted to this package of assistance
    went to bank to find out who is taking this money, they gave me a print out with details of TMTI LTD
    called on this number 01373839990
    lady told me you opted for this service, asked her to cancel the service and about my 24 pounds she said cant do anything...
    Dont trust these websites who dont allow payments from paypal....
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    I'd rather trust websites who use credit cards rather than paypal any day of the week. I also use Mobiles.co and all the other CPW websites. I always cancel the TMTI AND the insurance immediately. My latest cancellation took 16 seconds on one phone call. It's always perfectly clear at the point of order that TMTI and the insurance ARE included - all you have to do is read before you click.
  • josef45
    josef45 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Well [FONT=&quot]sensibilis,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Clearly you work for TMTI because you are the only one (probably in the world!) who agrees with what they are doing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Everyone who has come to this thread is looking to find out why this company TMTI has been taking money out of their bank account.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To say that the majority of people taking a phone contract would benefit from a £40/year service to tell people how to use their phone is ridiculous.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Not to mention, when going through the purchase process on dialaphone, the TMTI subscription is hidden, it is NOT made clear that this company is going to take money from you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is a scam, there is no doubt about it.[/FONT]

sensibilis wrote: »
    TMTI owns Gadget Helpline for which you get a free 30 day trial with your mobile which is clearly stated on the shopping basket..if you cant be bothered to read your deal then that is your problem.
    The Gadget helpline is teamed up with THE TIMES, BBC RADIO and many other reputable organisations and are not scam or scammers. If you follow the procedure to cancel at gadgethelpline.com you will have nop problem cancelling//

I had no such problems and the staff were efficient and friendly.
    SS
  • josef45
    josef45 Posts: 2 Newbie
    And its a premium rate number if you call for tech support
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    josef45 wrote: »
    Well [FONT=&quot]sensibilis,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Clearly you work for TMTI because you are the only one (probably in the world!) who agrees with what they are doing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Everyone who has come to this thread is looking to find out why this company TMTI has been taking money out of their bank account.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To say that the majority of people taking a phone contract would benefit from a £40/year service to tell people how to use their phone is ridiculous.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Not to mention, when going through the purchase process on dialaphone, the TMTI subscription is hidden, it is NOT made clear that this company is going to take money from you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is a scam, there is no doubt about it.[/FONT]

It is not hidden on dialaphone - its on the order email that you get.

You also get a welcome email from TMTI Gadget Helpline.

Its not a service many would want but its there as part of the contract order. Its your responsibility to cancel it if you do not want it as you would with insurance if you did not want that.
  • mobilejunkie
    It is also true that you only pay a premium rate number if you don't find an alternative - and they are easy to find.
  • Totally agree witt Josef45, "sensibilis" is clearly one of these robbers from "gadget helpline". He/she claimed that "The Gadget helpline is teamed up with BBC RADIO". Watch what you say or you might end up in trouble!

I took a mobile contract through mobiles.co.uk. At some point through the process they must have sold me the 'Gadget Helpline' service which I didn't pay enough attention to. However, I received NO confirmation letter in whatever form so I wasn't aware of this untill it appeared on my bank statement. Unfortunately, becuase my bank statement was sent out quarterly, it's been 3 months since it started. They charged me 6 months fee at the end of month 1.

So I called them and asked the full money back based on the fact that I was not aware of the fact that I've been signed up to the service. They claimed that they've got the proof that an e-mail has been sent. That e-mail must have been ended up in the junk e-mail as I didn't receive it, not surprising if it titled with word “gadget". They said that if you don't cancel after the 30 day's trail, they will not refund you any of the 6 months fee.

I dont' want to argue for too long over the phone as it's 0844 number:mad: I asked the name of the person I spoke to and a complaint contact. However, the e-mail she gave me doesn't work. So I used their online form instead. Because I mentioned this persons name in the e-mail, it's been forwarded to this person and her e-mail is very similar to the "complaint e-mail address" she gave me! She asked me to complain her to herself!

I'm really annoyed by now as I've wasted so many time and money on calling and e-mailing them. I'm wondering if anybody know who regulate this sort of company? Ofcom?

I think I was missold of this as no confirmation was sent by post but only an e-mail which is likely to be intercepted somewhere. At the minimum they should have refunded me the 4 months unused service. Looking at other posts, it's seemed that it's not clearly stated 6 months minimum contract in their T&C but they insist not any refund after trial. I didn't receive anything from them so I don't have a copy of T&Cs. Can anybody advise if there is a 6 months minimum contract in their latest T&Cs?

I personally think there should be tighter regulation on this sort of sales - automatically trap you in a "trial" and charge a lumpsum of payment in one go. They do not send out confirmation by post but an e-mail so there must be a proportion of people like me didn't get the e-mail therefore wasn't aware of that a hand has been put in to our pockets. Time this proportion by the total number of people who uses mobiles.co.uk or dial-a-phone etc they must have cleverly robbed a lot of people's hard earned money! This sort of business should go to hell as it has no value to the society or the fundermental econemy. It's a scam!
  • Wow - me work for any company remotely connected to cpw! Some people WILL be rolling on the floor uncontrolably! Must be about 3 years since anyone has accused me of that! Usually I am attacked for warning against this (and other cpw) dealers.

You had a clear choice - order the contract including the phone or walk away. If you didn't take the minimum of time and trouble to look closely at what you were ordering it's down to you. It's people like you who allow people like me to enjoy hundreds (literally) of free mobile contracts; I DO take great care to know what I'm doing BEFORE I order and I go into it MUCH deeper than that, which is child's play. Anyone getting tripped up by this shouldn't go near internet deals which appear too good to be true. If you're on a cashback deal you have worse things to worry about given your level of knowledge. I suggest you pay attention to that sooner rather than later (it may already be too late) if you are!

Actually, I am cpw's worst nightmare!

Agree that a lot more caution has to be taken when ordering stuff especially mobile phone related nowadays. However, the fundermental problems are these robbers like TMTI and it's “Gadget helpline" not the consumers. These people behind scrams shall be brought to justice!

It's like there is a rough area in the city. One day for some reason you walk across it and get robbed. As well you shall learn that avoiding that area at all costs in the future, it is the problems in that rough areas need to be cleared with by the police and the govenment, not you!
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The problem is that you have to "opt out" rather than "opt in" and that is the fault of the resellers, and not the people who offer the insurance / gadget help line.

I believe that TMTI are independent, as both CPW and phones4U companies automatically add the "service" at point of sale, no doubt to get their commission from TMTI (That is if TMTI is not a joint venture set up by bothh companies).

I agree totally that it is a very sneaky way of doing business and companies like mobiles.co.uk are almost certainly getting a kick-back from TMTI for every innocent who gets caught like those here.

But you do need to read what you are signing up for very, very carefully before clicking.
  • mobilejunkie
    There is no "opt out". If you buy the contract you accept the contract; you then have to cancel the freebies afterwards - but they are very clearly shown when you accept an on-line deal at CPW. They rely (successfully, it seems) on people not bothering to read the (fairly limited) information provided at the point of sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure