Help!! Ideas for rehoming a puppy

Options

Comments

• xoxo_2
    xoxo_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    The dog is trained. She will sit and lay down when told to. But that doesn't mean she's not excited to see the children and wont jump at them at first. She's just a lively puppy and IMO is not safe around the small children. As I see the puppy day in day out around the children and not you don't I think it's my call to make? :)

The PDSA want an £84 contribution for the op, which I can't afford. If she was in pain of course I wouldn't hesitate but at the moment whilst she's ok then I can't pay it.

She also needs medically spaying rather than just spaying which I was told by the vet is different and more complicated? Although not being a vet myself I have to take his word for that.

Thank you Kimitatsu, she has a crate but doesn't like going in it, she just cries constantly. :(

MrsE, I would be happy to keep the dog if I felt she was safe around small children. She isn't, regardless of the op costs. I don't want to keep her, that was never the intention. But having tried every other option then resorted to rehoming centres what else should I do? At the end of the day i've taken her in as a favour, i've fed her, had her vaccs done, wormed, paid vets bills etc. for a dog that isn't even mine!

Perhaps I should take her over the field and let her go? She's not my dog so her chip is registered to the friend, she could end up anywhere. Or shall I try and do it properly like I am and do this the right way to get a home for this puppy?

I could have let her go ages ago if I didn't care, but I do, and I want her to be safe and looked after.

Shegirl they won't take her because she has staff in her:(
    :j
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    xoxo wrote: »
    The dog is trained. She will sit and lay down when told to. But that doesn't mean she's not excited to see the children and wont jump at them at first. She's just a lively puppy and IMO is not safe around the small children. As I see the puppy day in day out around the children and not you don't I think it's my call to make? :)

The PDSA want an £84 contribution for the op, which I can't afford. If she was in pain of course I wouldn't hesitate but at the moment whilst she's ok then I can't pay it.

She also needs medically spaying rather than just spaying which I was told by the vet is different and more complicated? Although not being a vet myself I have to take his word for that.

Thank you Kimitatsu, she has a crate but doesn't like going in it, she just cries constantly. :(

MrsE, I would be happy to keep the dog if I felt she was safe around small children. She isn't, regardless of the op costs. I don't want to keep her, that was never the intention. But having tried every other option then resorted to rehoming centres what else should I do? At the end of the day i've taken her in as a favour, i've fed her, had her vaccs done, wormed, paid vets bills etc. for a dog that isn't even mine!

Perhaps I should take her over the field and let her go? She's not my dog so her chip is registered to the friend, she could end up anywhere. Or shall I try and do it properly like I am and do this the right way to get a home for this puppy?

I could have let her go ages ago if I didn't care, but I do, and I want her to be safe and looked after.

Why?Because all the rescues are full of staffs?But she isn't a purebred staff is she so surely the fact they have ten million staffs shouldn't make that much difference??

Just seems weird they'd turn her down for that,but hey ho!

Apart from contacting rescues and the dog warden what else have you done to find her a home?
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • cannyscot_2
    Options
    Ignore them ! I don't think your so bad. People and children are far more important. Sometimes there is only so much you can do. I have a dog and 3 children but we didn't get the dog till the youngest was 7 and it is a medium dog. There is no way I could have coped when the children were babies. I rescued our dog and no matter how much training etc he would not be suitable for being around a baby.

Children are more important. !!-if you don't get that you don't have any.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cannyscot wrote: »
    Ignore them ! I don't think your so bad. People and children are far more important. Sometimes there is only so much you can do. I have a dog and 3 children but we didn't get the dog till the youngest was 7 and it is a medium dog. There is no way I could have coped when the children were babies. I rescued our dog and no matter how much training etc he would not be suitable for being around a baby.

Children are more important. !!-if you don't get that you don't have any.

I agree children are far more important than animals.

I asked the OP be given good advice, I don't think its helpful to try & guilt trip her into keeping it.

BUT I don't think she should post how desperate she is to get rid of it & has tried abcdefghi etc & then try & make mugs of us saying she is ONLY interested in a good home for it.

If she was that bothered she would get the dog netured so a rescue would take it, but she won't as she would have to pay. So she wants rid & she wants rid on the cheap too.
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You keep on saying she isnt your dog, so take her back to her owners and let them sort it out.
    Poor dog I feel really sorry for it, hopefully someone will give it the home and love it deserves.
    Chris n TJ
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

So get her netured & then a rescue will take her.
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »

So when she says they won't take her because she has staffy in her what she actually means is they won't take her because she isn't neutured?Makes more sense lol

I'm just amazed it's this hard for someone to have their dog rehomed etc when they seem to be so desperate to get rid and have contacted every rescue possible!!
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • PrincessPlaty
    Options
    As a friend of xoxo and also knowing the 'friend' that the dog came from.

The 'friend' won't take her back, they don't want to know. I think it may well of been the case that they saw xoxo as an easy target as though she would just put up and shut up. It was an easy way for them to get rid of the pup.

They were making excuses about taking her back already and then when their other dog died they decided it was too hard for them to take her back, which in my mind really wasn't fair on xoxo and her children and i have told the 'friend' that also.

I really don't think any of you are helping the matter by trying to force xoxo into keeping the dog, she is a mother, and her children have to come first! I hate to disillusion some of you but dogs are not children!

The PDSA want a minimum donation of £84, xoxo can't afford that its not that she doesn't want to she can't afford it. She has already paid out for everything else for a dog that has been dumped on her.

She doesn't want to dump the dog on anyone she wants the best for her which is why she was asking for advice on here to see if anybody else had any other ideas.

It is not viable for her to keep the dog it was only supposed to be temporary for a few weeks! This has been months now!

Seriously give her a break she is trying to do the right thing she doesn't need to be made to feel like she is a bad person for trying to do the right thing by her children and by the dog.
  • PrincessPlaty
    Options

Rescues have said no to her as soon as she mentions that she has staff in her, they haven't even got as far as saying that she hasn't been spayed.
  • xoxo_2
    xoxo_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options

They won't take her because she has staff in her, not because she hasn't been spayed. No amount of money I spend on this is going to alter the fact she has staff in her which I'm being told by rescues is the reason they won't take her. I'm not going to spend £84 on a dog that isn't mine when it's not going to change a thing.
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport