Insurance Policy Claim Statement

I'm buying car insurance and I'm unsure on the claims section.

I had an accident and it was my fault, but the claim was made against the van owners policy, not my policy I wasn't a named driver on the vans policy it had an any driver over 25 policy on the van. My old insurance company knows I had an accident as I reported it to them.

I'm filling out the new insurance application with Admiral and I've put that I've had an accident in the last 3 years, damage to other car unknown, and then it has 'fault claim or no claims bonus lost' which I have no idea as the van owner said leave it with me. Is this asking if there was a fault claim against myself, or if the case overall itself resulted in a fault claim?

I have zero info about the claim, whether a claim was even made, how much the claim was for and due to circumstances now have no contact with the owner of the vehicle.

A friend of mine who works in car insurance has told me there would be no record to link it to my personal insurance but then I'm a bit dubious of this, wondering if I should just base the quote on worst case scenario, write off and claim against myself.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to log it as a fault claim, it doesn't matter which policy it was claimed against, you still had an "at fault" accident.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you lose your NCB? I would understand from your post that the answer is no which is then the answer you give. You do have to report the accident though.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

A friend of mine who works in car insurance has told me there would be no record to link it to my personal insurance but then I'm a bit dubious of this, wondering if I should just base the quote on worst case scenario, write off and claim against myself.

There is a record of the claim, at the very least Admiral know about it, they may also upload the details on your application to the Insurance Hunter Database
  • looknohands
    looknohands Posts: 390 Forumite
    There might not be a claim though, isn't a claim different to an incident?

For all I know the other driver may never have claimed, therefore there's no determination as to who was at fault as it would never have been assessed?

After giving a statement I didn't deal with any of it, the insurance was held by the owner of the van. I wasn't a named driver, it was an any driver policy. I guess similar to how a hire car is insured by the hire car company?

There is a record of the incident logged with my current insurer AXA. But it hasn't effected my no claims, would it effect this if there had been a claim?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you make a claim or had a claim against you? No, the third party and policy holder did.

You declare it as an incident though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport