DLA and mortgage interest - housing benefits

Options
pennypincher2013
pennypincher2013 Posts: 357 Forumite
edited 8 October 2016 at 7:59AM in Benefits & tax credits
A friend of mine who claims DLA has paid 6 months rent on a property she has just moved into. She is hoping to have housing benefits, back paying the rent.
She has a house with a mortgage (the house she just moved out of) which she says she hopes to sell. Because she has DLA, the interest on the mortgage is paid for.
Would benefits continue to pay for an empty house and rent? And would they pay back rental payments that would cover the same time period as paying the interest on the mortgage house?
Would that technically be paying my friend twice?

Comments

• Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine who claims DLA has paid 6 months rent on a property she has just moved into. She is hoping to have housing benefits, back paying the rent.
    She has a house with a mortgage (the house she just moved out of) which she says she hopes to sell. Because she has DLA, the interest on the mortgage is paid for.
    Would benefits continue to pay for an empty house and rent? And would they pay back rental payments that would cover the same time period as paying the interest on the mortgage house?
    Would that technically be paying my friend twice?

You haven't given enough information on your circumstances to even make an educated guess.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mortgage interest is only paid on the property that is lived in, so the help would stop on that
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you say she hopes to sell, do you mean it's on the market and she hopes to get the price she is asking for? Or has she moved for whichever reason and expect tax payers to pay both towards her investment and her accommodation until she decides in the future that she might want to sell her property?
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    DLA is not a means tested benefit so the mortgage interest will be being paid based on other income based benefits.

She would have to show a very good reason as to why she is selling this house (it has to actively be up for sale). Has she moved to a place more suitable for her disability perhaps on the recommendation of social services?

She is unlikely to get both unless special circumstances apply but even then she may only get one..

Housing Bemefit is unlikely to be backdated that far.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any equity left after the sale of the property could also bring the asset level above that allowed for housing benefit to be paid ?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Equity in the property now could do the same, if it is not being actively marketed or otherwise disregarded.

which may mean she is entitled to neither mortgage or rent help
  • pennypincher2013
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    When you say she hopes to sell, do you mean it's on the market and she hopes to get the price she is asking for? Or has she moved for whichever reason and expect tax payers to pay both towards her investment and her accommodation until she decides in the future that she might want to sell her property?

She hasn't put the house on the market yet but is planning to do so soon. She hasn't said when she is going to do that. She has mentioned a cash buyer.
  • pennypincher2013
    pennypincher2013 Posts: 357 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Sambella wrote: »
    She would have to show a very good reason as to why she is selling this house (it has to actively be up for sale). Has she moved to a place more suitable for her disability perhaps on the recommendation of social services?

Neither. She wanted to move into a new place after a split from her husband. She kicked her husband out of the home (he's staying with family) and she and the children have moved into the rented accommodation. Hence the house being empty.
  • pennypincher2013
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Any equity left after the sale of the property could also bring the asset level above that allowed for housing benefit to be paid ?

I don't know how much the house is worth on the market but my guess is no equity or very little.
  • pennypincher2013
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Equity in the property now could do the same, if it is not being actively marketed or otherwise disregarded.

Sorry I'm a little confused. What does actively marketed or otherwise disregarded mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure