Will the Bank or Post Office exchange my 1p and 2p coins??

Comments

• The coinstar machine where I used to work takes 8%. This always seemed worth it to me though as you just tip everything in and it sorts it for you, saves counting it all out yourself. xx
  • saves counting it all out yourself

I've never understood this :confused: to me counting it all out is the best bit!! :p

Or is that just me? :o
    MFiT-T5 #52 - aiming to clear mortgage completely
    January 2019: £19620 ~ November 2021: £0.00!
  • If ive got a big carrier bag full, then I can think of much better things to do with my time than spend 3 hours counting it, lol. xx
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The coinstar machine where I used to work takes 8%. This always seemed worth it to me though as you just tip everything in and it sorts it for you, saves counting it all out yourself. xx
    Was that 8% to turn it into cash, or 8% to turn it into vouchers for the shop where you used to work?
  • Fill_7 wrote: »
    id change it for you at my PO no problem.

all depends on which member of staff u get and if he/she is in a good mood. but if its only £10 worth, i cant see it being a problem.

hth
    Thank you :D
  • I certainly use the self-service at ASDA or Tesco (ok, so it's usually first ot last thing when there's no queues or anything!) for purchases and pay in 1s, 2s and 5s (usually at the end of the month!)
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • Fill_7 wrote: »
    id change it for you at my PO no problem.

all depends on which member of staff u get and if he/she is in a good mood. but if its only £10 worth, i cant see it being a problem.

hth

I used to change them for people but i've stop because too many people try and rip you off. I've found nuts and screws mixed in with the coins, i'll weigh the bags and the weight would be right. Then when ever I come to use that bag of coins, it' would be wrong and my till would be down. Even the people who don't try it on, don't seem to be able to count and 90% of the time there would be the wrong amount in the bags... takes too long so i've stopped changing coins. Unless it's for a little kid with their mum and she asks if I will change a small bag of coins for the odd £5 note that he or she had been saving up. :A

I had a customer tip a bag of coins all over my counter and wanted me to sort through it all and give him notes. Must of been about £100 worth. Told him I don't change coins and he responded by saying "You've a Post Office Ain't You"... :rolleyes:

The worst people are the ones who want change.... not talking about business customers because they can order change in and pay for the privilege. Every now and again you'd get people who demand £7 in 20p's or want their all their £121 giro in £5 notes. I only give out fivers in change or if the payout was for say £155.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Was that 8% to turn it into cash, or 8% to turn it into vouchers for the shop where you used to work?

The Coinstar machine gives you a voucher which you take to the shops CS desk where they will cash the voucher. I've done this in both an Asda and a Sainsburys with the machine.
    Coinstar's patented self-service kiosk is easy and fun to use. Just pour in your jar of mixed coins and watch them add up. The Coinstar Centre accurately counts up to 600 coins per minute, saving you the time and effort of sorting, rolling and taking them to the bank. When you cash in, you'll get a voucher to redeem for cash at the store checkout or apply to your purchases. Check your voucher for special promotions or sweepstakes that Coinstar may be offering. In the UK, the fee for our coin counting service is 7.9 pence per pound counted. In Ireland the fee is 9.4 cents per Euro.
    http://www.coinstar.co.uk/uk/Webdocs/A1-1
    ====
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I can't understand why any MSE would save up their small change, only to give away 8% to a coin sorting machine! :confused:

Mr. Fire Fox only likes spending notes (don't ask me why!) and has a large jar to chuck his coins in. To me it's dead money, as he'd use the cash machine less often if he spent the change on his daily newspaper and so earn more interest on his savings. He doesn't even like counting it all up, so I have to help out. :rolleyes: I refuse to do the coppers tho!!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Personally, i bank with HSBC because my local branch has a change sorting machine - dump your coppers in, it goes right into your account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure