Problem With Dell Vostro 1000 - Won't Power Up

shanks84
shanks84 Posts: 257 Forumite
edited 11 March 2010 at 1:14AM in Techie Stuff
Hi. I'm having trouble with my Dell Vostro 1000. It's just completely stopped powering up. It won't charge the battery or run off the AC. It turns on, but runs out of battery straight away (obviously!) because the batery doesnt charge. I opened it up, and noiced a circuit seems to have burnt?? Have a look:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4655/p1040420m.jpg

I take it that has something to do with it... What can I do? And how much is it likely to cost? Ring is the blown circuit, arrow is where the cable plugs in

Thanks

Comments

• CPJames19
    CPJames19 Posts: 301 Forumite
    shanks84 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm having trouble with my Dell Vostro 1000. It's just completely stopped powering up. It won't charge the battery or run off the AC. It turns on, but runs out of battery straight away (obviously!) because the batery doesnt charge. I opened it up, and noiced a circuit seems to have burnt?? Have a look:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4655/p1040420m.jpg

I take it that has something to do with it... What can I do? And how much is it likely to cost? Ring is the blown circuit, arrow is where the cable plugs in

Thanks
    Sounds to me that you need a new battery. You could buy on off ebay. I bought one of ebay when my battery stopped charging properly.
    My advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.
  • PCease
    PCease Posts: 55 Forumite
    The image shows the fuse may have blown (the large rectangle component which has PC134 written next to it).

This probably need replacing.

To test the fuse use a multimeter. Set it to Ohms (200 ohms or using the speaker). Place a probe at each of the end of the fuse. if you hear a beep or see a value less than 1 ohm then the fuse is ok. Otherwise DONT PLUG YOUR POWER CABLE IN!

Why the fuse blew, maybe a bad power supply, power surge, dodgy battery? I would get this professionally looked at (but I would say that because I repair laptops!).

WHAT I SAY HERE YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEVER PLAY WITH ELECTRICITY OR MESS WITH ANYTHING YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. Laptops can break easily due to static so always take anti-static precautions.
  • shanks84
    PCease wrote: »
    The image shows the fuse may have blown (the large rectangle component which has PC134 written next to it).

This probably need replacing.

To test the fuse use a multimeter. Set it to Ohms (200 ohms or using the speaker). Place a probe at each of the end of the fuse. if you hear a beep or see a value less than 1 ohm then the fuse is ok. Otherwise DONT PLUG YOUR POWER CABLE IN!

Why the fuse blew, maybe a bad power supply, power surge, dodgy battery? I would get this professionally looked at (but I would say that because I repair laptops!).

WHAT I SAY HERE YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEVER PLAY WITH ELECTRICITY OR MESS WITH ANYTHING YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. Laptops can break easily due to static so always take anti-static precautions.

Thanks. As someone who repairs laptops, how much would you charge for that?
  • PCease
    PCease Posts: 55 Forumite
    This type of repair falls under the DC Socket Repair (Silver Repair) at https://www.TheLaptopFixers.com.

This will probably get me told off for advertising.... if so, I will remove this message and apologise in advanced! I wasn't touting for business but offering good advice!
  • shanks84
    Unbelievalby, I'm STILL looking to get this done! Anyone got any advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure