Free solar power system. Is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its nt just £40 quid though it all the pipeing, tanks makeing sure everything up to spec. If you strap a home made solar panel to your roof and it fails and does some major damage to your house or fall off and kills someone you may find you've got no insurance and your liable. If your gonna invest the money you might as well get a proper install, You can get the full evacuated tube panels for £250 for a 10 tube one and will for much better than £40 quid radiator and will even work in the winter.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Originally Posted by Cardew viewpost.gif
    Solar Hot water 'stores' the 'energy'(i.e. the warm water) in a hot water tank.

In money saving terms solar Hot Water is a joke! It produces next to nothing in winter - a few pence per day; and bear in mind it needs an electric pump and electronics.

The government independantly tested 8 systems in Souther Britain(where it is warmer) and got on average 1,000kWh per year. So if you have Gas or oil - £30 to £40 a year!

So you pay £thousands to save £tens,
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    Could you find me a link to this research ?

http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file16826.pdf

This was carried out in 2001. So the installation prices quoted are out of date.
  • Cardew
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    If you want to use the sun to heat your water, you can make your own solar panel using an old radiator. A guy in Wivenhoe did this, and the total cost was just £40. He did however, use a coolant-filled closed-loop system to heat the water in his tank via thermal transfer (involves putting a coil of copper pipe into your immersion heater tank).

A friend of mine has a proffessionally fitted panel on his home in Stanway, and it paid for itself in 7 years. My uncle also has one, and never has to use the boiler to heat his water, even in the middle of winter.

Then he uses an immersion heater! if he gets hot water to the value of £1 in winter he will be lucky.

Just remember though, 'officially' you can't use such a system to heat the water for your central heating (but you can always find 'ways' around this).

You really do talk the most absolute twaddle, and not just in this thread.

Why post such nonsense.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2010 at 1:17AM
    Options
    Ive applied for this service, so as long as my application goes ahead, then Ill give feedback here. The way I see it, its free and its green. The installers come to my house. Its quite hard to see where the scam lies in this case. Like another person here, I can not afford(especially as a student) to put up 18 solar panels on my house, though companies can. Isnt it about £1000 per quality solar panel or something?-and costs for a professional to put the things up!
  • Cardew
    edited 12 January 2010 at 2:01PM
    Options
    waqasahmed wrote: »
    Ive applied for this service, so as long as my application goes ahead, then Ill give feedback here. The way I see it, its free and its green. The installers come to my house. Its quite hard to see where the scam lies in this case. Like another person here, I can not afford(especially as a student) to put up 18 solar panels on my house, though companies can. Isnt it about £1000 per quality solar panel or something?-and costs for a professional to put the things up!

When something appears to be 'too good to be true' there are bound to be people who are sceptical. However after the explanations given by the firm, I don't think there is anyone still thinking it is a scam.

You are simply 'renting out' your roof space - the 'rent' being some free electricity during the day; the value of that rent will depend on your lifestyle. i.e. how much of the available electricity you can use.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in agreement with you Cardew. Just waiting to see if there are any pitfalls in the contract you sign, and as we have a solicitor in the family, it will be gone over thoroughly.
  • BFG wrote: »
    Which bit of 'So, is it a scam then?' is difficult to answer?

Hey BFG, what exactly is your problem with the world that you have to sit on these forums for hours on end, at all times of day and night offering nothing but cynicsm, put downs and general wiseguy abuse.

Bet you're not like this in the 'real' world with 'real' people, you'd be getting b i t c h slapped all day long, safe in the online 'anonymous' world though eh

Now remember, the forums are here for help and advice for people from all walks of life, if it's upsetting you that much, take a break from it all and reasess your life and it's purpose

Aim that angry, childlike and petulant energy into a useful channel such as clearing snow off OAP paths in these troubled times.

Perhaps a poll for forum members to actually pass jusgement on your smug self perceived 'value' to these forums may be appropriate - whaddya think wiseguy.

Grow up sunshine - for yours and everybody elses sake.
    Loose - not tight........lose - It was 'ere a minue ago :eek:
    Looser, it's gone slack....loser, well nuff said ;)
  • Cardew
    Options
    solar-tat via the USA with 110v output.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2010 at 11:24PM
    Options
    This is a bit easier to understand - it would be interesting to know where their (from bitterwallet clip - not shader green) estimation of installlation cost is coming from.
    http://www.bitterwallet.com/
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I applied to them about the free solar panels, but I didnt qualify unfortunately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure