Payment to wrong account

I did some seasonal work before Christmas, for the same company as the previous year, and the company paid me into the same account as before, despite me stating on the invoice that my bank details had changed.

The account it has been paid into has an overdraft debt, which I currently sorting out with other debts as a DMP, so most of the payment will have been taken paying off this.

I have been waiting over a month for this money and was relying on it to pay bills. Is there anything I or they can do?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• If you have an agreement in place with the bank to repay the overdraft - and are keeping to it they'll need to pay the money back to you. If no, they'll probably keep it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi,

Simply contact the bank, explain the situation, ask for the money back, then, if you haven't already done so, agree a repayment plan with the bank for the outstanding debt.

If its the only money you have, they cannot take it for debt repayment, they have to treat you fairly, and any payments you make MUST be affordable to you, remind them of that, if they become stroppy, I find a relaxed chatty approach works best in situations like this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • I've asked the company if there is any way they can retract the payment and send it to the correct account as I need it for priority bills etc but I don't know if they can?

Thanks soucreates I will try that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport