Do overdraft charges count as bank charges?

Dear All,

I was really interested to read Martins tip on reclaiming bank charges a couple of weeks ago, I have held an overdraft with the same bank for many years and have only recently begun to manage staying within the set limit. Prior to this I often got £25/£50 penalty charges for going over my overdraft. Can I claim these back? Martins e-mail referred to DD payemnts so I'm not sure, thanks.

Comments

• I suppose the key question is are these charges a true reflection of the cost to the bank involved it does not cost a large ammount to process a standered letter informing you of these charges there are some good links to visist but first thing is to advise the bank that you are unhappy with the charges you have incured and are taking retropective action to recover the cost and wait for the bank to reply hope you have saved all the statements to back up your case and good luck
    hth
  • hendersonb
    hendersonb Posts: 330 Forumite
    You shouldn't require the statements - the bank will provide you with this info when requested - although there may be a charge - don't pay more than £10 as you can hit them with the Data Protection Act to get details of any charges for the last 6 years :-)
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mistique wrote:
    Dear All,

I was really interested to read Martins tip on reclaiming bank charges a couple of weeks ago, I have held an overdraft with the same bank for many years and have only recently begun to manage staying within the set limit. Prior to this I often got £25/£50 penalty charges for going over my overdraft. Can I claim these back? Martins e-mail referred to DD payemnts so I'm not sure, thanks.

Yes they are included as punative charges. Go to the Consumer (was bank) Action Group website and read the faqs then follow the step by step guide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure