electric meter

Hi
Is there a device that can be used to monitor how much electricity is used by one room or area?
my sister has let a room with bathroom attached but the tenant is saying she uses hardly any electricity so wants her rent reduced as its all inclusive!
sister is at the point where she just wants to prove how much electricity is being used.
thank you

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Is the tenant being serious and does your sister want/need to keep her on side? The tenant presumably read the agreement before signing it?

If your sister is happy to pay £200, then Smappee is a device that it will meet her requirements as it ‘listens’ to devices as they are used. (None Intrusive Load Monitoring)

https://www.smappee.com/uk/home
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Raza55.5 wrote: »
    Hi
    Is there a device that can be used to monitor how much electricity is used by one room or area?
    my sister has let a room with bathroom attached but the tenant is saying she uses hardly any electricity so wants her rent reduced as its all inclusive!
    sister is at the point where she just wants to prove how much electricity is being used.
    thank you

Tell the tenant they are being ridiculous. It will cost a couple of hundred £ to aquire the kit needed to monitor an individual room. What about hot water / heat usage? This is like going to an "eat-all-you-can buffet", paying £9.95 cover price then asking for a third of it back as you didn't have desert.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Tell the tenant they are being ridiculous. It will cost a couple of hundred £ to aquire the kit needed to monitor an individual room. What about hot water / heat usage? This is like going to an "eat-all-you-can buffet", paying £9.95 cover price then asking for a third of it back as you didn't have desert.

I agree with Andy. They may not use much extra leccy but they have hot water and heating as well as lighting, they probably charge their phones and possibly a computer so it's an all in cost. Who's TV do they watch, theirs or yours, who pays the TV licence.. Do they pay for other stuff, like washing etc.

If I go to an hotel I dont get a reduction because I dont switch on the TV or choose to use the stairs if there's a lift.

They've got an agreement, if they dont like it then send them away and get someone better.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Raza55.5 wrote: »
    Hi
    thank you

Yes, the device is called a meter ;)

I suspect the cost of installation (including associated re-wiring), let alone all the hassle, is not going to be worth it.

Seek professional advice on the rental value of the room. If your sister is charging too much, get her to consider reducing it or risk losing the lodger.

If the charge is competitive, tell her to inform the lodger the price set was what she agreed to. She needs to accept it or start looking elsewhere. :cool:

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport