So who else loves parkrun?

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Me, I love it. I am very proud of my newly acquired 50 t-shirt! I like that it's friendly when you want it to be, without being too in your face. I have taken nearly 10 minutes off my time since my first parkrun 2 years ago. 32 in a year Barny1979 - that's dedicated!

I agree that it seems a bit mad to drive down to a run although the change of scenery is nice. Now that I am a lot fitter I am thinking about running there and back too, but at 13 miles total (including the parkrun itself) that still seems a little bit too hardcore.

I am evangelical about parkrun and recommend it far and wide. Anyone reading this and considering it - just give it a try!

If it was mad to drive down/travel at least a short distance to go for a run.....

Running clubs across the country wouldnt exist, nor any running race/event from the local Parkrun to the London Marathon. Running in events and with other people is much more than just going for a jog.
  • I love Parkrun, but...I hate the number of photos they take.
    I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but my local Parkrun has several volunteer photographers every week who take literally hundreds of photos of the runners, and upload them all to the public facebook page.
    It's pretty off putting knowing that when your red and sweaty there's going to be someone lunging at you with a camera mid-jiggle :eek:
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I love Parkrun, but...I hate the number of photos they take.
    I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but my local Parkrun has several volunteer photographers every week who take literally hundreds of photos of the runners, and upload them all to the public facebook page.
    It's pretty off putting knowing that when your red and sweaty there's going to be someone lunging at you with a camera mid-jiggle :eek:

Whilst I don't think I jiggle, I do generally look like I have just had a stroke most of the time due to trying to run completely relaxed.

But I do quite like the photos as it is quite a useful tool to check out your running form whilst at full race pace. Very easy to see slight changes that you can make to your technique. For instance I have slightly adjusted my arm position and reduced the excessive bounce that I had because of series of photos at parkrun.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Anything that gets people off their backsides and enjoying physical activity must be a good thing. I don't run any more but back in the day I used to love participating in fun-runs when they were a new thing (1980s). It seems that parkrun isn't too different, except that it has taken off and is on a much huger scale.

Personally, I'm not interested in these mass participation events, but I think they are fantastic for those who do enjoy them. Enjoyment is the #1 motivator for being physically active.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • NineDeuce wrote: »
    If it was mad to drive down/travel at least a short distance to go for a run.....

Running clubs across the country wouldnt exist, nor any running race/event from the local Parkrun to the London Marathon. Running in events and with other people is much more than just going for a jog.

Very true! All the same, I will try running down next time, and maybe getting a lift back with someone. ("Down" the operative word)

No photographers at the parkruns I have done, though I have seen friends tagged on Facebook looking red in the face. Pleased mine doesn't have them! (although I suspect my running form needs a fair bit of work)
  • I love parkrun, I am tail runner this Saturday and was on tokens last week:) my 6yo son did his first run with me few weeks ago too :T
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Love, love, love Parkrun. My whole family get involved, it's great fun.

My son and I run on Saturdays, with my husband, younger son and daughter volunteering. My son and I also help to clear up afterwards.

My youngest daughter runs on Sundays, with my husband, two sons, other daughter and myself volunteering.

The rest of the "regular" volunteers are really nice, enthusiastic people. We have a great time. I am sure that my youngest thinks of them as her Parkrun "family".
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    amfan wrote: »
    I cycle down to mine! its just shy of 5 miles each way, and when I'm running makes a good warm up, and when I'm volunteering means I still get some exercise in!

Same here, it's about a mile less than that for me. I expected cycling to slow me down, but it hasn't really affected my time - I used to live closer, and would walk a mile or so to the start each week.
    I wish I'd known about it earlier though, I just happened to be in the park one Saturday morning a few years back at about 9:15 and saw lots of runners so Googled what had been happening when I got home... Now I plan my weekends around it, and if I'm going to be away then my first thought is "can I travel on Friday night instead"; unless it's somewhere I haven't been before in which case it's "where's the local parkrun?"! It's always disappointing if I can't make it for some reason.

I'm up to 89 now, not quite enough time to hit the ton this year, but hopefully I'll earn my black t-shirt in early January!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I love parkrun, I am tail runner this Saturday and was on tokens last week:) my 6yo son did his first run with me few weeks ago too :T

I always admire the people that do the tail running.
    I can't bring myself to do it, as I can't bring myself to like the idea of just sauntering round walking. My normal walking pace is faster than the usual back of the field parkrun! If I could do it as a gentle companionable run then it would be ok, but I can't do strolling.

I do love the other roles though, and normally do timekeeping (in fact I am timekeeping next weekend), whilst I do love the RD role, its always nice when an event finished and you haven't had any major disasters :rotfl:
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Our 5 year old has been doing our local 2km junior run every week for the last couple of months.

It's on the seafront so the views are great and it gets us all out of bed at 9am on a Saturday! Also a local ice cream shop gives each child a free ice cream afterwards when they present their barcode :D

He should get his half marathon medal too soon which is quite an achievement on little legs!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport