Help to Buy ISA - tax efficient transfer options

chrish_1283
chrish_1283 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 23 September 2017 at 12:08AM in ISAs & tax-free savings
Hi,
I opened a Help to Buy ISA when they were released, and I've been paying £200 a month into it every month up until now, and I've got nearly £5500 it it now. As I've given up trying to buy a house in the UK the account no longer suits me, I'd rather have a standard cash ISA with the £20k limit.

Is it possible to transfer it to a normal cash ISA, without withdrawing the cash and losing the tax advantages? I asked in the Halifax, where I hold the ISA, I was told that my only option was to stop paying into it at the end of this tax year and then open a cash ISA next financial year (with the Help to Buy ISA remaining open but nothing going into it). I've spent some time reading the ~360 page ISA rules from HMRC, but didn't find anything very helpful.

(I'm a higher rate tax payer and I've already exhausted all of the decent rate current accounts and regular savers, so ISA is the way forward. I don't think a Lifetime ISA will suit me.).

Many thanks.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Halifax H2B ISA pays 3.5%. No other ISA currently available today pays anywhere near that and I doubt that will change in the near future. Personally I'd hang onto it for the interest rate alone. It's easy access after all.

That being said, I've found this:
    https://www.helptobuyisaadmin.org.uk/sites/default/files/scheme-rules.pdf and see section 6.7 sub-section B. This suggests to me you just do a normal transfer as you would any other ISA but obviously you'd forego the H2B bonus.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I agree keep the money in the HTB wrapper to get the best tax free wrapper cash rates. You never know you might get a chance to use it to buy a house in future if your circumstances change.

Alternatively you could look to move it to a LISA to get the government bonuses towards a house (again if your circumstances change however the Skipton cash rate is low) or to withdraw at 60 (in which case something like a Nutmeg stocks and shares investment for the long term).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure