Why you cant trustatrader.com

Comments

• Looking to use a trader found on trust a trader as we have no word of mouth recommendations. Now I don't know what to do. Any advice?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Jop - someone on trustatrader isn't necessarily any worse - or better - than someone you find in the local parish magazine, or from yellow pages or just googling.

If you can't get word-of-mouth then try trading standards approved here http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/sitepages/bwchome.aspx or you may do better at Which Local (google it but you have to be a member)
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Derbyshire County Council's website has a 'Trusted Trader' section which has reviews, good and bad, from customers. Seems very good. If you're in Derbyshire.
  • honesttony
    honesttony Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 July 2014 at 10:33AM
    To-poor wrote: »
    This website supposedly contains a directory of vetted and referenced tradesmen that you can trust. Ive used two traders from this website both picked by me because of the high standard of onsite recommnedations from previous customers and had bad experiences with both.

I wondered if I was unlucky but after trying to leave feedback regarding my bad experiences Ive since realised that not all references are published!

If you leave a positive review it gets posted straight onto the site but negative reviews are not unless "investigated".

I left two frank and accurate reviews detailing the bad workmanship and service I experienced from NA Carpentry and Aqua PH plumbling neither of which have been published.

I have spoken at length with [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] the owner of the site and explained fully the extent of my experiences with these tradesmen and the reviews are still not viewable.

In a token effort and after a lot of pressure, my review of NA Carpentry appeared on the site and was heavily edited to just three words "Do Not Use". Unsurpisingly Andy of NA Carpentry then performed a job for free and received a glowing reference which appeared on the site making a joke of the damage he caused to my property and the review I left.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] is well aware of the damage caused by NA Carpentry and went so far as to refund the money I paid to them yet he still wont publish my feedback to stop other customers making the same mistake I did?

I have contacted Trustatrader several times to enquire as to why my reviews have not been published and have never received a satisfactory response.

Imagine if ebay only published positive reviews of members who ripped off others.
    Hi I am a trader on trust a trader and am disappointed you have been treated in such a way, it is true us traders do pay to advertise but nothing is free in this world, your find good and bad tradesmen on any review sites and web sites I can assure you all the reviews I receive on trust a trader are 100% genuine. its a real shame not all reviews are from the site we have to supply lists of customers we have been too, which leaves the site wide open as friends or family can pretend to be customers and give good reviews. The team at trust a trader have to rely on there judgement when talking to review clients or tradesmen. I hope you don't have the same bad luck again when using tradesmen from any site I would suggest you use sites like which local but you will need to subscribe to them, all the reviews are placed by there own customers and are very honest, I wish you luck in your future dealings.
  • I am just posting this to defend trust a trader. I have just joined this site and I am 100% confident in my work. I suggest anyone looking for a tradesman on this site should look at the photos of the previous work they have done and the reviews if possible. Even ask if you could see some previous work before giving the person the job. For small company's it can be hard to find work so sites like trust a trader can help and is it really a shock that you have to pay them to advertise you on the site.
  • Patricia_Marchand
    Patricia_Marchand Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2015 at 11:48AM
    Trustrader.com and the like do not give true ratings, I experienced it myself recently and ended up complaining to watch dog and trading standard.

I since looked into the type software they use and it is true that within their software they do have the options to reject automatically any of what they call 'negative ratings' this is a combination of a maximum of 3 stars for one and the rest 1 star (for behaviour for example).

But the dishonesty is that they refuse to admit it. In matter of fact the builders actually pay for 'good ratings' and this leaves us with the feeling of been 'ripped off'.
    So the 'lie' carries on, until there will be a 'cry out' for help.

What happened to me recently:
    • I posted a small builder type job on trusttrader.com
    • not even 1mn later got a telephone call, the guy wanted to come the day after to do the job with an early start, but I wanted for him to come down first to view what was needed and 'not that early', but he decided that he would come down regardless
    • I then phoned him back to let him know that I would rather prefer for him to call me back to make proper arrangements, but he did not called me back
    • the day after he was with another guy in front of my door swearing at me and almost demolished my front gate.
    • I rated him for his bad behaviour which I filmed (cctv)
    • I must added that I am elderly woman who lives on her own, so 2 big guys in front of my door making threatening gestures while swearing at me was very scary...
    I since managed to get the email address of one of their directors, but though they apologise, I am still waiting for the apology of the builder for such a behaviour.... But of course they deny they have set-up their system to reject 'negative ratings'.
  • My negative and factual review was not published. In addition a missed appointment wasn't posted against the profile until I chased them. What are the point of reviews if only the good ones get posted?

I tired ratedpeople.com and within 2 hours of posting Saturday afternoon, I had my first phone call and by 10:30 the following day (Sunday) a guy came out and gave me my first quote. I have 2 guys coming to do the garden tomorrow - Tuesday, how quick is that!

Brilliant service, will never waste my time with Trust A Trader or TAT as I call them now.
  • I have been approached by these people today asking if I would register with them as I run a Handyman services business in Chester. Being a suspicious bloke when I get calls like this I normally say bang it down on an email and I'll look at it.

To register it's £300 per year and they have another company called 'Business Safety Standard' that only started trading this year so has no record except for two Directors one being Polish.

By this time hackles were coming up on the back of my neck and I dug deeper and found the Trustatrader.com website.

I emailed the original contact and raised my concerns and he came back ad said they were affiliated to a huge amount of associations on a link at the bottom of the page. Having built a few websites it is so easy just to make a list of affiliates and bang them on a website and the ordinary bloke on the street wouldn't know any different.

Most of my business comes by word of mouth, it's strange that these companies have to exist, if you work hard, do a good clean job without any fuss then you will soon pick up business and repeat business all the time, you do not need to be in directories.

I registered with Yell.com yesterday and have been flooded with calls all morning, I had four in half an hour from people trying to sell me stuff or want me to donate to charities I have never heard of. So I will be contacting Yell to take me off their web pages and carry on as word of mouth which works for me.

I will work through their list of affiliates and find out who has actually heard of these jokers....oh! look B&Q is one of them I will start with them. I just don't like people trying it on so will keep digging.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 November 2015 at 6:20PM
    a marketing company working for trust a trader have just had their thread removed.

Just added this to this old thread for completeness
    Ps I've got the screenshots btw
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hollydays wrote: »
    a marketing company working for trust a trader have just had their thread removed.

Just added this to this old thread for completeness
    Ps I've got the screenshots btw

I saw the thread you refer to and spam reported it.

It looks like you can't trusta trustatrader...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure