uninsured crash

13»

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    antrobus wrote: »
    You did put money on it.

err, you mean he didn't hence his current pickle with the other side able to claim legal fees and him with no support

OP you have no option, you will have to negotiate a payment plan and yes you may well end up paying for this for the rest of your life. That is why car insurance is a legal requirement its to ensure that innocent parties have redress
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Hello,

I'm not sure if you can help but I don't know what else to do.

8 years ago I was in a crash, my insurance had run out 23 days before and I was not aware of this. I found out when I checked my details to register my claim.

I was at fault for the crash.

I had another main car which was fully insured

Basically the people I hit have been paid over 40k and I have received a letter saying I have to pay this money.

I have been out of work for a long time and my life is in a sorry state. I started a new job 2 weeks ago and finally thought I was getting back on my feet and could eventually clear my debts.

I went to see a solicitor today but she was not much help. She said she would look into it but I am not hopeful.

Does anyone have any advise?

Please be kind, I know I am at fault but this was not a malicious crime it was a poor paperwork crime and I am paying dearly for it.

I don't understand why he has been awarded so much money. I was the only one hurt in the crash.....

Gx

Hi OrchidPepper - we'd urge you to get expert advice on this as quickly as possible. According to similar posts in the Motoring section on this forum, there are legal time limits for insurance claims to be made - and it could be that 8 years is too long.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    00ec25 wrote: »
    err, you mean he didn't hence his current pickle with the other side able to claim legal fees and him with no support

OP you have no option, you will have to negotiate a payment plan and yes you may well end up paying for this for the rest of your life. That is why car insurance is a legal requirement its to ensure that innocent parties have redress

Antrobus was using "sarcasm" i think :)
  • Just wanted to add that when involved in an RTA it's not just injuries that'll be the payment figure. There'll be payments for repairing the vehicle, storage of the vehicle, engineers reports, medical reports, possible counsel fee (which means consulting a barrister to see if the case is winable), physio, solicitor costs (which alone for a single person claim that settles in a year can amount to 7-8k). I work for a costs draftsman which handles solicitor's costs after a claim has settled and can see how it's amounted to 41k.

Not saying it's definitely the right thing but maybe google costs draftsman ring one for advice and see if they can negotiate a lower figure but obviously it costs money. It's possible this 41k could be negotiated a lot lower. Or they could advise you the best way to proceed.

Btw I'm only admin so can't give intricate advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure