Overpayment question

Am I right in saying that if I have any spare cash and my mortgage allows overpayments and drawbacks without penalty that I might as well allways overpay as much as poss and then draw it back whenever I need it as I would always be saving the max interest that way?
--
Peter Stones

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    It all depends upon the interest rate you are paying for your mortgage versus the gain on investing your money elsewhere.
    The term opportunity cost was often used in the dim and distant days of my education.
    J_B.
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    b4 you start over paying your curreny mort I think it wouls be wise to see an advisor or check MSE to make sure that your current deal is the best. There's little point throwing money at a poor product. I am with the cheshire and was going to start overpaying, mort is voer 20yrd 18 remaining.

went to see my financial advisor and he is changing me to Halifax for the same amount of money 16yrs ans is I want to seriously overpay ie £125 extra a month he can get it down to a 10 yr mort.

SO just check your mort first, so your money is working at it's best for you.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport