Repairing a split door

Our downstairs loo door is very small and very slim.

Over time, the hinge screws have pulled out, and today the door has basically fallen off.

IMG_20160626_163613_zpsraxphnvr.jpg

The obvious thing would be to stick in some 'chunkier' screws, but as you'll see from the image above, that would only cause the split to worsen.

Was thinking about maybe forcing some wood filler into all the gaps, and clamping the door tightly whilst it dried.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Wood filler will not glue together the split timber. Hence when you screw in again you will re-open the crack. If you use pva wood glue, by getting it into the split, then clamp up you should be OK. Obviously give a day or so to dry and harden up
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Personally I'd drill out the existing holes and glue dowels in place with a decent wood glue and clamp as Furts has said.

Then drill pilot holes before replacing screws and re-hanging.

Just another way to skin this cat :)

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Ruski wrote: »
    Personally I'd drill out the existing holes and glue dowels in place with a decent wood glue and clamp as Furts has said.

Then drill pilot holes before replacing screws and re-hanging.

Just another way to skin this cat :)

HTH

Russ

This is good and better than my post. It really depends on the skill of OP. But if OP wants a short cut on this fill the holes with Gripfill and drive the screws into this, after first doing a gentle pilot drill. Not as professional as the good Russ, but it should be OK!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As per post #2, wood glue into the split, G clamps to pull the split sides in, then countersunk screws from left and right faces to pull the split sides together.

Fill countersinks with wood filler and paint over.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When doors split like that its normally because they are being opened too far and pressing on the architrave. If this is the problem however you repair the door the problem will reoccur.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Norman makes a good point, a door stop may prevent this.

I would do like Ruski says but make sure you get glue as far into the crack as you can when your putting the dowels in.

I would personally use gorilla glue/construction glue.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport