Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For your info and for comparison purpose for haggling, I've just had a letter through from Sky offering me the Box Sets Bundle with Sky Q multiscreen (SKY Q box plus additional mini box), Sky Fibre unlimited and line rental, all for £50 per month on an 18 month contract.
  • Vexd
    Vexd Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 October 2017 at 4:40PM
    Quick update as per my post above (8th Oct). VM outbound retentions called today and genuinely couldn't have been more considerate or helpful - other than giving everything away for free ;) So, they offered me the Full House Sports bundle (although they didn't specifically call it that - which is available to new customers for £78pm), for £65pm on a 12 month contract (with no installation fee and protected from Nov price rise), including:

Full house TV XL
    upgrade to VIVID 200 BB
    Sky Sports HD + BT Sport HD
    New V6 box
    Superhub 3.0
    Basic phone (weekend calls)

Considering my current bill is £116pm, I'm immensely happy with a saving of £51 a month including upgraded BB and equipment. A definite win! Just to say a big thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on here for showing the way and outlining the haggling process for everyone. Very grateful, cheers!
    :beer:
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 12:53PM
    I'm currently with Virgin Media on the Player Bundle with Vivid 100Mbps, Player TV (M), and Weekend Telephone with Telephone Line Rental for £20 per month. When my deal ends in the next couple of months this will go up to £50 per month.

Does anyone know what sort of deal I am likely to get at the end of my contract. I'm not expecting to get the same for £20/month, but what sort of deal have people had before on this package?

Thanks in advance
  • paragp
    paragp Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So I have been on
    Player TV
    Asian Mela (£12/mth)
    70Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone
    was paying £64/mth

Cancelled Asian Mela now and bill went down to £44/mth.
    I asked if i removed TV completely would that bring down the price futher, i was told no actually that would push the price up die to bundled discounts.

They have upgraded my BB to 100Mb.

So basically:
    Player TV
    100Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone for £44/mth.

Anyone think I can get a better deal?
  • cjp2k
    cjp2k Posts: 31 Forumite
    Yes I think you could do better. I did this on behalf of my mother 3 weeks ago she got

Full house tv
    100mb broadband
    Weekend calls

£38 per month

She also got a v6 tivo box the month before on a self install for £20
  • Hurley
    Hurley Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    paragp wrote: »
    So I have been on
    Player TV
    Asian Mela (£12/mth)
    70Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone
    was paying £64/mth

Cancelled Asian Mela now and bill went down to £44/mth.
    I asked if i removed TV completely would that bring down the price futher, i was told no actually that would push the price up die to bundled discounts.

They have upgraded my BB to 100Mb.

So basically:
    Player TV
    100Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone for £44/mth.

Anyone think I can get a better deal?

Yeah, a lot better.

Have you spoken to actual retentions? Do they know you're leaving? Once they got a number port request from BT they offered me a much better deal.
  • paragp
    cjp2k wrote: »
    Yes I think you could do better. I did this on behalf of my mother 3 weeks ago she got

Full house tv
    100mb broadband
    Weekend calls

£38 per month

She also got a v6 tivo box the month before on a self install for £20
    thanks i will ring them again next week
  • paragp
    Hurley wrote: »
    Yeah, a lot better.

Have you spoken to actual retentions? Do they know you're leaving? Once they got a number port request from BT they offered me a much better deal.
    I have spoken to customer relations ( not customer services) .. not got through to retentions..:(
  • ChukkleOdeon
    ChukkleOdeon Posts: 110 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2017 at 2:16PM
    Current deal, just over £70 / pm, was due to go up to just under £75 / month from next month.
    That is for:
    • Talk Evening and Weekends
    • TV Size M+
    • VIVID 150 Optical Fibre (apparently they no longer do this up to speed bracket)
    You can count the number of calls we make on the landline on one hand each month, wouldn't have thought that it's more than a couple sometimes. So the £19 / month phone line rental is appearing pretty hefty for so little use.

TV - not really massive viewers and would be totally happy with using Freeview.

Internet is the main thing, well for me, would like to keep a 100 min connection.

First ring to Inbound Retentions via the 'thinking of leaving us' option using the landline, they offered:
    • the 'player' TV package
    • eve & w/e calls
    • 100 b/b connection
    for £47 / month

Said I needed to think about it and speak to my partner but asked that the actual details of this deal be put through to me. He said he could do it by text but when the text actually arrived, it contained no details of what was offered and was a message that said 'do you take this deal? Y / N' to which I answered no.

Rang up again a few moments ago to press for a cancellation date and was told that by saying No to the text message, I had already initiated it!

So, fingers crossed I get a call from Outbound Retentions at some point in the days ahead.

Would actually like to get just get shot of the landline and TV service that VM offer and get a broadband only deal for the 200 speed but when I mentioned this on the first time I rang, referring to their deals page, I was told that that is for new customers only... but surely, they could offer me the same deal too if they wanted?

Complicated by the fact that our (rented) property has had VM since before we moved in 6 yrs ago, so there's no BT line which would have to be installed should VM call our bluff and then we may have to move anyway at some point as the flat is on the market... so perhaps the easiest option was to accept that first offer that may not be the best one with savings of £24 / £28 pm.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    as you will probably be moving out in the next 12 months, maybe it is best to get a BT/openreach line.

As least you should be able to move the package else where.

Were as if your new place doesn't have virgin media you will have to pay the remainer of the contract
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback