would you use old bank account after 5 years?

2»

Comments

• r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    As far as I know, most banks accept cheque deposits via the Post Office.

The post office is next door to the bank.
    Why don't you just transfer your BOS account to RBS?

Because RBS won't give me £8 odds a month in interest.

Couldn't find my RBS bank card and when I tried requesting a new one on-line after finally finding my sign-in details I got this reply:

Your Debit Card Request

Thanks for letting us know that your debit card is lost. We’d like to help with that; however, we couldn't find an active card with the details you’ve provided.

So I took the 4 bus trip, 2 there 2 back.
    At least that was free.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    r2015 wrote: »
    The post office is next door to the bank.

Because RBS won't give me £8 odds a month in interest.

Couldn't find my RBS bank card and when I tried requesting a new one on-line after finally finding my sign-in details I got this reply:

Your Debit Card Request

Thanks for letting us know that your debit card is lost. We’d like to help with that; however, we couldn't find an active card with the details you’ve provided.

So I took the 4 bus trip, 2 there 2 back.
    At least that was free.

Sounds like it's dormant/closed.

That said, i'd forgo (some) interest if having a local branch was something i valued and used.

If it's just the occasional cheque, you can simply post it to your new BOS branch with a covering letter or deposit slip
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Have you tried actually calling the customer service to re-activate the account? If it let you log in, it could well be just dormant.

I have had accounts with both Natwest and Lloyds dormant for years until I decided to start exploiting them (first switched for an HSBC advance and second transformed in a Club lloyds account).
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would just rock up to an RBS branch with my account details and ask to have a debit card issued, making sure I had my ID in toe in case they asked for it. It would be easier to telephone them, but face to face is harder to ignore a willing customer coming back to the fold.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's always the soon to be introduced 'Image Clearing System', whereby you will be able to deposit cheques from home. As far as BoS are concerned, they say here:

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/assets/pdf/bankaccounts/pdf/guide-to-changes.pdf

A new, faster way of clearing sterling cheques

From 30 October 2017 onwards, all banks are introducing a new system for clearing cheques called the Image Clearing System. This!system will allow banks to clear a digital image of a cheque rather than the original paper cheque. Cheques paid in using this system will clear within two working days.

The Image Clearing System will be introduced gradually and will operate alongside the existing paper cheque clearing system. You can find the different timescales for each clearing system in your conditions.

so it's not clear when they will implement it.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport