PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    In days when lawn order was non-existent, dogs were needed to warn of anybody approaching or hiding, and for protection against attack. Cats were needed to keep down rodents. So they weren't just pets, they were necessary - and in times of trouble they will be again.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Both sets of my grandparents kept their chickens right through the war; swapping their egg ration for grain, and had far more eggs than most people as a result, even in winter as they kept surplus eggs in isinglass. Also their cats, who kept the vermin out of the poultry feed & the pantry. One also raised a pig every year, for meat. Definitely not just pets!

If push came to shove, I'd keep my birds & cats, because they have functions beyond being fluffy & cuddly. Not just eggs, either; well-rotted poultry manure is rocket food for plants, and they're death on legs to slugs. Two of our cats are excellent mousers, and oddly enough the chickens, even the bantams, will catch & eat mice too. The third cat is 20 and has earned her retirement - she doesn't eat a lot now anyway - except pancakes.

I'm currently reviewing stocks & eating things up. Fewer inhabitants mean I don't need to maintain such vast stocks, and half of the current inhabitants are veggie/pescatarian, so my 20-odd tins of corned beef seem a bit excessive now!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • I'd keep my birds & cats, because they have functions beyond being fluffy & cuddly. Not just eggs, either

Cats don't lay eggs. :D
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Cats don't lay eggs. :D

Hmm. The ones next door to me do. On my lawn unfortunately. :(
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We have three dogs and consider them to be family members,we feed them wainrights dog food which comes in 15kg bags and lasts 3 dogs for a couple of months,I always have at least 4 bags in the house,at the first sign of trouble I would stock up and ration it to make it last as long as possible,and add leftovers ect.The dogs are good guard dogs and would warn us of intruders.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 October 2017 at 8:21AM
    :eek: My 'hood is flooding; think it might be the 5 inch main gone again * but the water's too deep to get close enough to see. Water board are on it but not on site yet. Family are incoming in 30 mins ........

One time they arrived in identical circs, it was the water tank upstairs which was leaking down into my flat.

* It ruptures every 3-5 years.

ETA; water pressure is going down....... thankfully have stored water but am quickly goning to wash self and dishes in case it goes off altogether, nearby streets are now rivers. Well, fast-flowing broad streams. From kerb to kerb.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Oh no, GQ; here's hoping they get that sorted ASAP!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 October 2017 at 8:43AM
    :( Me, too.

SG called me just after 8 am, said had I seen it? Got flipflops and dressing gown on and went to have a look and it's major. Rang it thru to water board and they'd had the first report at 7.45 am and had already escalated it twice, it's a baddie. Have just filled another water bottle and will get myself sorted then the dishes.

Folks are now only 15 mins away and will be getting wet tyres on their way into our carpark. At least I know we have water for drinks and hygiene during their visit.

Excitements like this I could do without!

ETA; SG just rang again from The Far Side (of the block). They've got a BT engineer over there looking worried; the water has got down into the telecoms hatches in the road. I think this is fast developing into An Interesting Day. Folks are minutes away....
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Perhaps we'd have to make concessions and the decision that 'pets' give more to us than they take in terms of the love and pleasure they bring to our lives and it might be possible to make a pet' into a useful contributor in life if they could earn their keep by vermin control or guard duty. Horses/donkeys/mules/oxen etc. would be not just useful but necessary as they have been in the past for transport/haulage/agriculture and goats, sheep, pigs, cows, poultry etc. would really be necessities not just to provide us with food but wool, feathers, milk, eggs etc. I just wondered if we could make the so difficult choice if the decision was feed us or go hungry by feeding them?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GQ, hope you and your family aren't too interrupted by the Interesting Day.

As far as pets are concerned - there's an interesting sub-story in One Second After ... no spoilers from me! Have a read :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport