Simple/cheap Import/ Export monitor

I can see my generation on my Geo solo II but it would be useful to see when I am importing or exporting. Is there such a thing or do the usual things just monitor flow of electricity and can't show you which way it is going?

TIA
R
16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j

Comments

• Rheumatoid
    Rheumatoid Posts: 886 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Rheumatoid wrote: »
    thanks but was hoping for something a bit less than £80
    Hi

If you have the ability to place the clamp sensor on the house feed then you'd be able to see load, so with 2 basic monitors you could see generation & load - so it just comes down to your mental arithmetic ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

If you have the ability to place the clamp sensor on the house feed then you'd be able to see load, so with 2 basic monitors you could see generation & load - so it just comes down to your mental arithmetic ...

HTH
    Z

Thanks but would there not still be some degree of doubt as to what is showing on the clamp meter is coming in or going out? Or do they only ever measure what is coming in and would be at zero if its going out. Excuse my thickness :D
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2017 at 7:51PM
    Rheumatoid wrote: »
    Thanks but would there not still be some degree of doubt as to what is showing on the clamp meter is coming in or going out? Or do they only ever measure what is coming in and would be at zero if its going out. Excuse my thickness :D
    Hi

It all depends on how your solar has been tied into the mains ...

Ours is connected to it's own distribution box which is connected to the main feed via a Henley-block ...

Meter --C-- HB ---A--- Fuse
    >House

|
    B--- Fuse
    TGM
    PV

If you have this setup then clamps measure
    A - House load
    B - PV Gen
    C - Net Import/Export (but which direction not known)

If not then you'll likely have C -or- B&C, in which case a clamp monitor system which can distinguish AC flow (like the one DaveF built!) or dedicated kit would be needed.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Rheumatoid
    Rheumatoid Posts: 886 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks but have no idea about that. all Greek to me :D
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So our mains comes in, through the meter then split to two consumer units, one is the 'original house', the other is the garage. The garage one then has the PV connected.

So we can measure what the original house consumer unit uses and what the garage plus pv unit uses but of course we don't know the breakdown by direction of the flow between the garage and the junction next to the import meter is.
    I think....
  • ard123en
    ard123en Posts: 265 Forumite
    I'm working on this at the moment plan to use 2 clamps one on the solar inverter the other an the house feed

Then use an adrino or raspberry pi to do the calc and output to a web page
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hi
    If you have a henley block use to owl meters very cheap.
    was free years ago from your leccy supplier.
    Fit one to the solar feed and one to leccy in feed.
    regards
    gefnew
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi
    Or search for Dave Fowler he has a mdified version of the owl that does both.
    regards
    gefnew
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family