Why would anyone cycle to work?

Stoke
Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
edited 2 October 2017 at 6:12PM in Public transport & cycling
This morning, on the way into work, I saw a cyclist nearly get knocked off by two different cars in the space of 20 seconds.

Then, half an hour later, I saw another cyclist nearly get knocked off, again we're talking inches.

It's an absolute bloody minefield out there with all the crap drivers. It's a shame as cyclists do other road users and the world a favour in reality, but they aren't half treated with contempt.

I've always considered cycling to work, but nah, it's too risky tbh.

Comments

• So is this situation inevitable? What action would you take? After all more cycling would save us all money.
  • Stoke
    So is this situation inevitable? What action would you take? After all more cycling would save us all money.

I'll stay in a big metal tin can until further notice. Manchester has cycle lanes everywhere and the amount of drives I see abusing them is scary.
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've cycled in London for 20 years. I love it, it's so much less hassle than any other means of getting around and it keeps me fit. I've been knocked off just once in that time. Not a very nice experience but I got compensation for it.
  • Stoke
    Chomeur wrote: »
    I've cycled in London for 20 years. I love it, it's so much less hassle than any other means of getting around and it keeps me fit. I've been knocked off just once in that time. Not a very nice experience but I got compensation for it.

But the problem is you shouldn't have been knocked off at all. People should look, anticipate etc.

I can only assume people simply don't look.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 12:36PM
    20 miles a shift for the last four years. 14 miles of that on the Thames footpath. Not a car insight. Plenty of foxes and the odd seal along the Thames.

I can cycle in as much time to work as I use to drive and without the gallon of petrol. Plenty fresh air and more exercise in a day that most people get in a month.

Not had more than a few near misses. Never been knocked down, fell a few times in the rain. For the most part drivers give me plenty of room and respect.

My tip.......wear a helmet, good lights and maybe a florescence top. Don't jump lights and take chances.....getting home a few minutes later or to work is no big deal in my book.
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    On average you'll live longer by cycling to work than driving or getting the train.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    People cycle to work for a few, limited, reasons:

- Alpha males.
    - People whose route is pleasant/enjoyable and they might have safe bike parking spaces and work and some, I believe, even have showers!
    - People who are just going 1-2 miles and have very good outer clothing available to them ... and the route's nice

For all others it's an arduous and torturous concept, where they're battling with filth, the weather, other traffic, huge/dodgy junctions and mayhem.

I used to cycle 6 miles to work when I started work nearly 40 years ago - it was quite a pleasant "amble" of a ride, with safe roads and no nutter drivers to contend with. All I had to contend with was getting wet when it rained, cold when it snowed... and I was in a job where it was acceptable to turn up looking like a drowned rat and sitting at my desk shivering or damp for 2 hours upon arrival.

I did get a moped within 8 months though :)
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    People cycle to work for a few, limited, reasons:

- Alpha males.
    - People whose route is pleasant/enjoyable and they might have safe bike parking spaces and work and some, I believe, even have showers!
    - People who are just going 1-2 miles and have very good outer clothing available to them ... and the route's nice

For all others it's an arduous and torturous concept, where they're battling with filth, the weather, other traffic, huge/dodgy junctions and mayhem.

I used to cycle 6 miles to work when I started work nearly 40 years ago - it was quite a pleasant "amble" of a ride, with safe roads and no nutter drivers to contend with. All I had to contend with was getting wet when it rained, cold when it snowed... and I was in a job where it was acceptable to turn up looking like a drowned rat and sitting at my desk shivering or damp for 2 hours upon arrival.

I did get a moped within 8 months though :)

Yep...........lovely route. Beautiful showers. Gallons of petrol saved, Secure 24 hours locked bike area, nice and fit with no traffic jams.
  • I cycle when the weather is up to it (ie not raining) but I go via a route I have devised which avoids the traffic. Overall it's faster than driving and the ride can even be enjoyable in the nice weather. Not sure I'd be keen on cycling in London though.
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    I rarely have any issues cycling through London. It's so much nicer than the tube and free exercise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure