Natwest Technical Issues

Comments

• I work in IT and luckily i bank with Lloyds but my partner banks with Natwest (but will be with Lloyds by Saturday).

The banks should have mirrored systems. Basically the way it works is all customers etc run on System A and the data is replicated to System B. When backups are due to take place the mirror link is closed and System B is backed up, the link is then reopened and the systems catchup and start mirroring again.

The hole point of running the system like this is foor this reason, if anything happens to the main System A then they flick a switch basically and everyone transferres to System B as the main source.

Ontop of this they have SLA (service level agreements) with there hardware/software providers and generator providers etc to guarantee this will stay up and running and if theres a problem it will be fixed in hours not days.

Ontop of that they would have generator backups that plugs straight into the building and monitors the power, if there is a power cut the generator fires up and kicks in in a matter of seconds so again there is no downtime.

Aparently from the conversations i have had with Natwest they don't have such systems which to me is vital when in this industry. They aparently atempted a system upgrade that was interupted by a power cut which has caused all this hassel. What they shouold have done was upgraded System B and tested it, moved everyone to System B and then upgraded and tested System A before moving everyone back.

Looks like Natwest dont invest in mirrored systems, generator backups and decent systems - I moved away from them many years ago when i realised they was not a Top Bank.
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    xbecx30 wrote: »
    I've just been to my local branch of natwest and its closed

Wow! :mad:
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kevmase wrote: »
    I work in IT and luckily i bank with Lloyds but my partner banks with Natwest (but will be with Lloyds by Saturday).

The banks should have mirrored systems. Basically the way it works is all customers etc run on System A and the data is replicated to System B. When backups are due to take place the mirror link is closed and System B is backed up, the link is then reopened and the systems catchup and start mirroring again.

The hole point of running the system like this is foor this reason, if anything happens to the main System A then they flick a switch basically and everyone transferres to System B as the main source.

Ontop of this they have SLA (service level agreements) with there hardware/software providers and generator providers etc to guarantee this will stay up and running and if theres a problem it will be fixed in hours not days.

Ontop of that they would have generator backups that plugs straight into the building and monitors the power, if there is a power cut the generator fires up and kicks in in a matter of seconds so again there is no downtime.

Aparently from the conversations i have had with Natwest they don't have such systems which to me is vital when in this industry. They aparently atempted a system upgrade that was interupted by a power cut which has caused all this hassel. What they shouold have done was upgraded System B and tested it, moved everyone to System B and then upgraded and tested System A before moving everyone back.

Looks like Natwest dont invest in mirrored systems, generator backups and decent systems - I moved away from them many years ago when i realised they was not a Top Bank.

You do realise the bank still uses as400 :rotfl:
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Kate4282 wrote: »
    The company I work for pay the wages through Natwest- none of the employees have received wages this morning!

It is all over the news now ..grrr hope its sorted
  • Charl8284 wrote: »
    I hope it is brought up on the News asap! :)
    ita all over the bbc news page on the net
  • stclair wrote: »
    You do realise the bank still uses as400 :rotfl:

I'm actually an AS400/iSeries/System i/Power Server (whatever you want to refer to it as since IBM keep changing the name) professional and all is capable, they are still the mopst resilliant and robust machines you can get, its how you use them and the applciations you decide to run on them - they should have MIMIX.
  • mitche05
    mitche05 Posts: 14 Forumite
    i cant see it anywhere on BBC news UK page or on Sky News UK page?
    about to go to my local branch
  • mumof2:D
    mumof2:D Posts: 77 Forumite
    Email investigations@skynews.com if you want them to investigate the natwest story
  • fluffy70
    fluffy70 Posts: 226 Forumite
    ???? I've just been to the Natwest in Commercial Road in Portsmouth to pay 2 cheques in in my lunch hour

They are open

They have staff advising everyone that there is a 'small issue' with their electronic systems and that everything is being processed manually.

When I asked if that meant that my cheques wouldn't show up as entered today and she said it probably would but that she couldn't guarantee anything.

My issue is - having read this thread I would say that they are now misleading customers - I asked if the same issue was affecting RBS as I have an account there and would happily cross the road to put my cheques in there and she told me it was affecting most banks"?"?"?"?"? Am I sensing the distinct aroma of BS? :mad:

SO not happy :(
    All of my views are my own :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family