How do you report drink driving, annonomously ?

Comments

• hsgamboy
    hsgamboy Posts: 80 Forumite
    I totally disagree with what you are trying to do and what other people on here are helping you out to do. I understand some people/famies havetheir lives wrecked through drink and drive. It's the worst that any one can possibly do.

I think you and these guys are nothing but a "GRASS". This guy may have some really big problems and see drinking as a way out, you will not only destroy his life further but also that of his family. He might lose his job over this and his family will suffer. Give the guy a break.

I suggest that you keep an eye on him next week and have a word that if he has more than a drink and wants to drive home, you will be left with no choice than shop him to the cops.

I am sure the guy (if he has any sense) will respect you for telling him so and will therefore find a local hotel/b&b to sleep off the drink, if he decides to go on drinking. Give your fellow man first before you GRASS him up.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    hsgamboy wrote:
    I think you and these guys are nothing but a "GRASS". This guy may have some really big problems and see drinking as a way out, you will not only destroy his life further but also that of his family. He might lose his job over this and his family will suffer. Give the guy a break.
    I have to disagree, my mother was killed by a drunk driver and I applaud the OP for having the guts to inform the police, I wish there were more people like that.

As for ruining the drink drivers life, I'm sorry but everyone knows it's illegal to drink drive, if you do the crime you have to be prepared to face the consequences. If he loses his job or family then that's his fault, he chose to drink drive. If he has a drink problem then he can get a taxi or a lift off someone else. There is NO excuse for driving after you've been drinking.

As for being a grass, I wish someone had grassed the idiot who killed my mother and God forbid but if one of your loved ones is injured or killed by a drunk driver you'd wish someone had grassed them up too. Drink-driving caused the loss of an estimated 590 lives and 2,350 serious injuries in 2004, that's alot of families destroyed.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • hsgamboy
    sorry for your loss. What am saying is that people sometimes are troubled by something evil and resort to drinking. Maybe if someone had spoken to and helped the guy in the first place then may be he wouldn't have got in the car the killed your mum.

I seriously don't believe that people have that badness in them to drink and drrive and end up killing people. I still stand on what I said earlier. Save the guy by having a word with him and this way you will end up saving any potetial victims. We all know that the cops don't always get it right and the guy can end up driving all the way home (possibly killing someone on the way) without the cops ever stopping him.

Tackle the trouble at first hand rather than shopping him to the cops, who 5-10% of the time are unable to stop a crime.
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    hsgamboy wrote:
    I totally disagree with what you are trying to …..
    I think you and these guys are nothing but a "GRASS". This guy may have some really big problems and see drinking as a way out, you will not only destroy his life further but also that of his family. He might lose his job over this and his family will suffer. Give the guy a break…..
    :confused::confused::confused:

If you knew the identity of an armed bank robber, would you withhold that information because telling the police would be grassing and the poor chap might get locked up for 10 years and his family would suffer?

Drunk drivers kill and maim far more people than bank robbers every year.:mad: :mad:
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Dazzieboo, I applaud your actions. In your shoes I would do exactly the same.

You could consider the alternative of contacting this man anonymously and telling him that you have given the police full details of his drinking and driving habits and where he will be on the date in question.

That might deter him from d & d on at least that one occasion.
  • hsgamboy
    Either you don't understand english or can't simply read. You will find out that we both want one thing
    that this guy should not get behind the wheel and drive whilst drunk. This guy is not an armed robber but someone the OP hangs out with socially.

In this case, telling the cops will be a last resort for me. I will speak to this person and let him know what I think. Offer him my advice and discuss the problem rather than GRASSING him up. I just think its' wrong for someone to sit on a high horse going on about drink drivers and how they deserve everything they get. I simply believe that something evil must have led them to this path. So if you can help the person without involving the cops, then you are a better person
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Assuming by the fact the person can drive he is there for an Adult, Adults are fully aware that driving while drunk is ilegal, regardless of the impact to his family of him being caught I have to agree that the risk of death to others far outways the reasons to not informing the police.

Fact, if you are going to take the risk you take the responcibility of your actions if you dont want to be caught drink driving get a taxi or walk or book a hotel.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • Dazzieboo
    Dazzieboo Posts: 498 Forumite
    hsgamboy wrote:
    I totally disagree with what you are trying to do and what other people on here are helping you out to do. I understand some people/famies havetheir lives wrecked through drink and drive. It's the worst that any one can possibly do.

I suggest that you keep an eye on him next week and have a word that if he has more than a drink and wants to drive home, you will be left with no choice than shop him to the cops.

I am sure the guy (if he has any sense) will respect you for telling him so and will therefore find a local hotel/b&b to sleep off the drink, if he decides to go on drinking. Give your fellow man first before you GRASS him up.

I have since found out, he ALWAYS drinks and drives, someone ALWAYS says to him, "you arn't driving are you ?", and he ALWAYS says "no, I have a lift", then gets in his car and drives. He has been offered lifts before, but has turned them down as he already has one. Why lie ?, he claims he will never have an accident, how does he know ? Maybe has has got a problem, but until he crashes, he is not going to realise this is he ?, if he lies to the people trying to help, he needs stopping before the crash makes him stop.
    "Dogs come when they are called. Cats take a message and get back to you" :j :j
  • PabloNeruda
    PabloNeruda Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    hsgamboy wrote:

I'd be very happy to grass him up myself. The guy is obviously a complete !!!!!!.
    Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river has been poisoned
    and the last fish has been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Originally Posted by hsgamboy

This post is either a wind up or the poster is straight from the junior playground. Ignore it Dazzie and do what you know is right, everyone else agrees with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure