How do you report drink driving, annonomously ?

Comments

• Emms
    Emms Posts: 956 Forumite
    Well done for calling it in! As much as I dont want him to drink and drive, I would love him to get caught doing it cause Im sure hes done it more than once in his life. People who drink and drive are a disgrace. I knew a girl who was in her early twentys when a drunk driver crashed into her car and killed her and there wasnt a scratch on him. She was in something the size of a corsa and he was in a massive jeep so she really stood no chance.

It should be illegal to have any alcohol whatsoever if your driving!

Emma :)
  • my neighbour opposite was shopped for something similar, he drove round the corner mid afternoon and a police car was parked outside his home waiting for him. it was all quite a saga in our little cul de sac, I never even knew he even had a problem, he had to catch the bus to work for 3 years !!!! he got his licence back just before christmas. hopefully he has learned his lesson .... there are a lot of children living here.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Just to stick my oar in, what I've seen in Police witness statements when someone's been caught drink driving (and for other things) is "acting on information received we stopped so and so". So it doesn't mention who provided that information (iykwim).

Stupid man, apart from potentially destroying other lives (there was a guilty verdict in a Court case locally last week where someone over the limit ran over and killed an 18 year old man) he can cause himself major problems from the ban he'd automatically get if caught.

Good on you for doing the right thing - you'd never forgive yourself if the worst happened.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • carolwat
    carolwat Posts: 757 Forumite
    Al_Mac wrote:
    13 pints, do you know that for a fact? Do you know it was alcoholic lager? It isn't right to drink and drive, but it wouldn't be exactly fair to be stopped if you are innocent either.

whether it was 13 pints or 6 pints doesnt really matter. the op obviously knows he had a lot and was over the limit. as for not being fair being stopped if you are innocent. well i would rather be stopped every single day if it meant that one less peron died as a result of some pratt drink driving. i just wish more people were like the op and maybe then there wouldnt be so many people losing loved ones because someone doesnt want to drink less or pay for a taxi.
  • carolwat
    carolwat Posts: 757 Forumite
    Dazzieboo wrote:
    I have now got through to Crimestoppers and given them the relevant information. I feel a lot better doing it this way, before the event happens, I have been told the area would be policed and monitored during the day so if he does drink and drive, at some point he would be stopped. Not only was I reassured it would be anonymous, I but I was also assured I was doing the right thing. Thanks again for the posters on here, who gave me the back up of knowing I was doing the right thing.

well done. you are doing the right thing and i also hope he gets caught before any damage is done and he realises how stupid he is and never ever does it again. i stand with you on this one. you did the right thing. sleep peacefully.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Hi.

Please, please report him.

Several years ago, I had an accident at work and needed surgery on my spine. After being released from hospital I was involved in a serious car accident due to a drink driver and ended up back in hospital, needed to learn how to walk again, metal plates were put in place to repair my spine but I still suffer the affects now.

Of course it could have been worse - I could be dead - but had someone been brave enough to stop this person, my life would perhaps of run a totally different course.

Well done to you though for wanting to prevent a potential tragedy.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • wayne
    wayne Posts: 317 Forumite
    Dazzieboo wrote:
    He had a bar tab and was drinking from 11.00am to 7.00pm, I can't see what is wrong with being stopped wether you are over the limit or not, I was stopped twice before Christmas as the Police were just doing routine checks, I just thought they were doing their job, not that it was unfair they picked on me.
    but when they stop you its not just to breathalise you is it.they check your tax they they do a check to see if you,ve got insurance then have a look at your tyres then a look in your boot.or is that just our dear mr.brunstrum,s drones?
  • Forreal
    Forreal Posts: 117 Forumite
    If you attend the next function and the guy D&D's again do call the police on the day. Your report to crimestoppers will be passed on but may be lost amongst the incidents happening that day. Your call would place it back as a priority.

To give your details adds weight, as other have quite rightly said, your details will not be divulged. Many calls are recieved each day and the genuine ones have to be picked out from the malicious. By giving your details you demonstrate that you are prepared to stanf behind your allegation.

When you call give the make and model of vehicle and where it is heading for.

You will be saving lives and preventing serious injury.
    The best things in life are free.....or at least discounted!!!
  • Dazzieboo
    Dazzieboo Posts: 498 Forumite
    Al_Mac wrote:
    I know I didn't come across very well. The point I was trying to make was that there was no mention of being drunk, so had it actually been alcoholic lager. I do not condone drinking and driving, to be honest thee days I don;t condone drinking at all, the date in my signature is the day I realised how destructive drink was in my life.

I apologise for any upset I have caused the op.

No offence taken, I could understand your caution in making sure the facts were right. What I didn't mention in the first post is, he was quite clearly drunk, he dropped his keys on the floor and couldn't actually see clearly enough to pick them up the first, second or third time, there was also an in door and an out door and he got cross with the in door as he tried to go out.
    "Dogs come when they are called. Cats take a message and get back to you" :j :j
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    crimestoppers, have the number handy in your mobile under a different listing (e.g. B&Q warehouse) You remain anonymous.

I would phone and give his car registration,name ,address etc.

I heard of someone who debated so long before phoning that the cops missed the drunk driver, so be ready to phone as soon as he heads for the car.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure