How do you report drink driving, annonomously ?

I recently went to a sporting event and someone there drank at least 13 pints of lager during the day, then drove all the way home (about 150 miles) I was horrified when I found out the next day and asked why someone didn't report him, they were all scared of the backlash, my attitude is $od the backlash, just think of the trauma he could have caused if he had crashed.

A similar event is coming up next week and he will no doubt do exactly the same, is there any way of reporting him to the Police annonomously ? there is not a pay phone at the place and if I use my mobile, the Police will be able to trace me. I don't have a problem with that, but this man is very influential and I would not want him knowing who reported him.

I know I may have posted this in the wrong place as it is not strictly money saving, should he crash and kill someone there will no doubt be great financial loss for someone somewhere.
"Dogs come when they are called. Cats take a message and get back to you" :j :j

Comments

• I think if you report this to the police you will have to give your name, but you can ask them to withhold it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Dazzieboo do you know his registration number ? if you do then contact the police and give them the information, maybe withold you number using 141 or get another sim card and use that to phone them :)
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One option would be to call Crime stoppers. Even if they can't take your information this time, they would be able to tell how to go about informing the police annonyomously http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/giving/givinginformationoncrime/
  • Kinnairdy
    Kinnairdy Posts: 196 Forumite
    You can report in advance so to speak, call Police, give make, model & reg no of vehicle, date & where it can be found and the approximate time the function will end, tell them this person will be over the limit and obviously a danger to other road users, they should "if up to the job they are paid to do" be present when the said person leaves the premises and will observe & stop if in any doubt as to his ability to drive.
    You do not have to give your name, you merely need say "I prefer not to give a name", there is no legal requirement to give one but do not be too surprised if your "report" comes to nothing, anonymous calls are not always acted upon.
    As an aside, informants of drunk drivers can be paid by the Police following a successful prosecution, just a thought for a Moneysaving member.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;and listen to others,even to the dull and ignorant,they too have their story. Avoid loud and agressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit
  • Dazzieboo
    Dazzieboo Posts: 498 Forumite
    I have just tried the crimestopper number but it just rang out for 10 mins so will try later. I am quite happy for the Police to know who I am, but if the drink driver should find out who reported him, he would make my life hell. Someone reported him a few years back for breaking the health and safety rules in his own establishment and he was closed down for 3 weeks to correct matters, losing him a great deal of money, he found out who reported him and got nasty. There is no way I want anything like that, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to be on the road at the same time as him, there is a lovely little girl at my Daughters school, she joined last week and I met her Gran last night and she said her entire family were killed by a drunk driver, she was the only survivor, finding this out, has made me detirmined to do something.
    "Dogs come when they are called. Cats take a message and get back to you" :j :j
  • Karrie
    Karrie Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Many years ago I called the police to report someone driving while drunk and they didn't ask for my details. I am sure things have changed now though. Speak to your local police station, I am sure they will be of help to you. Let us know how you get on.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what yer gonna get ;);)
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    I can understand your worries about reprisals, however some things are more important. What you could do is call the local police station and have an informal chat about your concerns and ask them what the best thing to do is if it happens again. The problem of calling it in when he leaves the premises is that there may not be a unit available so he may get away with it again. If it's likely that other will be drink driving too then the police may see it as worth while to target the venue at chucking out time - that way it's not just about this one individual.

If you give the police a tip off I see no reason why you'd need to give your name or details as there's no need for a witness statement (although if he got in an accident they may want witnesses then) but blood alcohol levels are enough evidence to convict if he's caught driving.

IMO if he is caught he should thank you - you may well be saving his life aswell.
  • I'm afraid i can't answer your question...but just wanted to give you a little support in this (something I feel very strongly about).

Definitely report him whatever the backlash. I know thats easier said then done but just think for one moment if it was your family he killed through drunk driving and then that will give you the push you need to call the police.

I'm sure you could do it from a telephone box or something?? and like another said before the event or on the actual day.

Good luck!!!
  • If you report to the Police you DO NOT have to give your own details, you can decline to give them and it will go down as an anonymous report.

Also, if you do contact Crimestoppers (and get through - they are very busy but it is freephone) and leave your details and he gets stopped and it results in a conviction you may possibly be on the receiving end of a reward.

By leaving your details you may be required to provide a statement to the Police which may result in you being called to court as a witness but generally drink driving offences are straight forward and only the Police witnesses involved are required to prove the offence.

I would encourage anyone to report drink/drug drivers to the Police in the hope that we can get more of these people off the roads - I have seen first hand the damage that can be done by them.
    Good luck!
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • hi,
    i just wanted to lend some support too. over 10 years ago i had a few friends round at my flat and we had been drinking. a friend of my boyfriend at the time just lost the plot at about 11pm and became very depressed. although we all tried to stop him, he managed to leave the flat to drive home, about 1.5 hours drive away. he was drunk. we felt like we had no option and in the end phoned the police and told him where he was likely to be going. the police didnt pick him up but to be honest i dont know if they tried. he got home safely although he had no recollection of how, he even stopped to get petrol on route. i have lost touch with those friends now and i dont know if he knows that we called the police on him but i would rather that than have his death or the death of someone else on my conscience. it is such a difficult decision but i think fewer people are willing to stand up and be counted and it really depresses me. i hope you go through with it (((hugs)))
    i wish i was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure