Student daughter & boyfriend whats fair to ask in housekeeping?

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I really don't see the problem with that, it's a loan she's entitled to so why shouldn't she take it? I'm not being snarky - I genuinely don't understand why it would be a problem?

Edit: we can't assumer the daughter will 'splash it out', we have no idea what she will use the money for.

I'm also unsure how they can control an adults finances.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Do parents really charge their kids rent when they are in sixth form? Only 4 years since my youngest finished 6th form, but I didn't know any parent who did.

Most don't but then most don't let their boyfriend shack up with them in the family home either!
  • Jackieboy
    I really don't see the problem with that, it's a loan she's entitled to so why shouldn't she take it? I'm not being snarky - I genuinely don't understand why it would be a problem?

Edit: we can't assumer the daughter will 'splash it out', we have no idea what she will use the money for.

She can obviously do what she likes with the loan but if she chooses to take the full amount she should really (IMO) use some of it for its intended purpose, which is to pay for her keep.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    She can obviously do what she likes with the loan but if she chooses to take the full amount she should really (IMO) use some of it for its intended purpose, which is to pay for her keep.
    If she has taken out a student loan and isnt needing it, she really ought to be saving it towards paying her loan off early... but we are talking about kids here...
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    snowball2 wrote: »
    Me & DH have discussed it and think we should speak to them soon about making a contribution but im not sure how to approach it and what would seem fair/ground rules.

My daughters boyfriend spends at least 75% of his time at our home, eating, showering ect (no laundry he still takes it back to his parents). He had just finished college but now has a job with an income of around £1200 a month.

Also keeping in mind that my daughter will be finishing her A levels in July, and starting Uni in September (but living at home) and we will receive a drop in CTC and CB combined of around £300 a month, we still have 3 other children living at home so we will find it very difficult to manage financially with just the 3 school aged children never mind two extra adults in the house.

My daughter has started a part time job which will pay around £300 a month which she will continue and she will get a a student grant/loan of around £6000 a year according to the online calculator.

I hope this makes sense, thanks

You get benefits for your daughter till next July - but want to charge her for housekeeping now?
    Or in August when the benefits stop?

I think it's a bit odd charging someone who visits a lot housekeeping. I personally would rather not have a visitor in my home so much - but if you want to charge him housekeeping too maybe he'd be better off moving in & only have to pay housekeeping once.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    With all due respect and not wishing to nit pick but it wasn't clear because people (not you) are still thinking that the OP's DD is either a Uni student already or that the OP wishes to charge her sixth former from their subsequent replies on here.
    Lokolo wrote: »
    My post was quite clear that it was about when she goes to university and is planning on living at home. Should be pretty clear given the OP mentions about her going to uni, receiving student loan and at this point is where the parents stop getting CB.

---

There is a difference between now, when shes in Year 13, and when she goes to university. I agree with others in that you shouldn't charge her whilst she is doing A Levels and you have CB.

However, when this stops and she attends university, receiving maintenance loan and grant (you may want to re-check the calculator) she should either be saving it (do not recommend in the current rules), use it for maintenance (living, bills etc. like any other adult) or not take it. £30 to live at home whilst in receipt of student loans is a mickey take.
    Lokolo wrote: »
    The student maintenance loan is for expenses, for living. So she should either be putting that towards rent, or not taking it. £30 a week is way too little if she is getting a student loan. Triple it at a minimum.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The OPs daughter is currently at school/college in sixth form (yr13). She is likely to be 17 or 18 years old. She will sit her A levels in summer next year (2017). Currently the household *might* be getting child related benefits for her, eg tax credits and child benefit (depending on household income). In addition daughter has a part-time job.

Next Autumn (2017) daughter should be going to a local Uni and living at home. At this point the OP is considering charging her DD 'housekeeping'.

The dilemma is the working boyfriend who is currently spending a lot of time there how much or if she should charge him.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    snowball2 wrote: »

..my daughter will be finishing her A levels in July, and starting Uni in September (but living at home) and we will receive a drop in CTC and CB combined of around £300 a month..

From the OP, so it seems clear that parents are receiving CTC and CB for their daughter at the moment, and if their circumstances don't change, will continue to do so for the next 11 months.
  • Why does she need a loan if she's living at home with her parents? She'll have no rent to pay... unless mum is keen to take rent out of the loan money :(

I do see your point re. the boyfriend. He should be showering and having meals at his own home or inviting your daughter round there sometimes.
  • Jackieboy
    Why does she need a loan if she's living at home with her parents? She'll have no rent to pay... unless mum is keen to take rent out of the loan money :(

I do see your point re. the boyfriend. He should be showering and having meals at his own home or inviting your daughter round there sometimes.

As an adult, what's she going to use to pay for her food, utilities, transport, books, equipment, phone, clothes, toiletries etc? She's not going to be able to pay for all that on a £75pw part time job.

ETA

And, of course, some kind of social life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure