How do you budget on a variable income?

I am not sure if DFW is the best place to post this question, but i am sure the mods will move it is needed.

I am trying to work out the best way to budget when i have a variable income.

Some months i only earn £400 a month, other months i earn £800. I am self-employed.

How would you work out a monthly budget in this situation? It can't be as hard as i am thinking, but i feel like i have thought of so many options that its like i am a dog chasing it's own tail!

Any advice? My monthly outgoings every month (all household stuff, billss, food etc, but NOT including petrol) are £380.

Comments

• matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Put whatever you don't use in an £800 month into an instant access savings account and dip into it in one of your £400 months.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I am not quite sure where i am going wrong. Thats exactly what i thought to do, but i seem to never have enough money left over on either month :(
  • R_P_W
    R_P_W Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Make a budget on the lower end of your income.

If that doesn't stretch far enough you either need to earn more or spend less.
  • matttye
    Forumite
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I am not quite sure where i am going wrong. Thats exactly what i thought to do, but i seem to never have enough money left over on either month :(

Do a Statement of affairs (you don't have to post it if you don't want). Be honest, be brutal.

Then write down everything you spend money on throughout the month. If any of your variable amount bills are higher or lower than what's written in your SoA, write down the extra/decreased amounts as well. If you have a smartphone there are apps to do this, which might be easier/more convenient than carrying a notepad and pen everywhere.

Often it's those little things that add up over the month. I worked out I spend about £10 on chewing gum each month! :rotfl:
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • WantToBeSE
    Forumite
    Thanks for the advice :)

If i earn more, then i end up paying more than i earn in childcare, so it effectively makes me worse off. I cannot spend any less, as it's a tight enough budget as it is.

I think i am just going to have to make sure that i actually stick to my budget instead of going off plan.
  • matttye
    Forumite
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice :)

If i earn more, then i end up paying more than i earn in childcare, so it effectively makes me worse off. I cannot spend any less, as it's a tight enough budget as it is.

I think i am just going to have to make sure that i actually stick to my budget instead of going off plan.

You didn't tell us about that little chestnut in the OP. Yes going off budget is almost certainly the problem! :p
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • WantToBeSE
    Forumite
    matttye wrote: »
    You didn't tell us about that little chestnut in the OP. Yes going off budget is almost certainly the problem! :p

:D Ahh, to be honest i dont think i had really seen it as a real problem until i was forced to type it out :o
    operation 'Stick to budget' starts from TODAY!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure