PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yesterdays spend was £2.99 on YS. Very happy with that
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    I also picked up some energy gels, but I'm not taking those out of my grocery budget as they're fitness related. I've been told not to consider doing the marathon without using some, so I need to start trying them out as different people have problems with different types. They give out 'freebies' during the race, but that make is expensive to buy to use while training and if the ones I got today suit me it'll be cheaper to use these through training and on the actual day......

The thought occurs to me that you might want to acclimate to the freebies brand of gels before the race, since they're all different. I've heard anecdotes of runners developing stomach cramps or even throwing up because they downed a gel mid marathon that they weren't used to. (Of course, if you are planning on carrying your own and not taking the freebies when offered, then this advice is irrelevant.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent £35.70 on AF yesterday, stocked up on lots of things we normally buy every week so should help keep the weekly shop down for the next few weeks or more. Had to top up ds school lunch account with £6 as well. Will sit the kids down over the weekend with the aim of agreeing on some packed lunches as it would save us a fortune. Ds is on the spectrum and very very fussy, usually loves his daily panini but at £2 a shot plus the cost of drinks we need to try.

This past week, being at home has given me lots of time to think about how we have been managing our money. I've sat down and looked at our outgoings and had quite a reality check at how much we've been spending, especially on food. They've all been told that the weekly takeaway is no more, and we're are also trying to eat more healthily so aiming to cut down on the amount of meat and unhealthy snacks we eat.
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Hi very expensive first week -

Mon
    Co Op 6.81 fruit, milk and juice - need to stop being lazy and walk to Aldi
    Wed
    Wilko 7.15 cleaning stuff
    Iceland 41.77 freezer food
    Sainsburys 9.75 pantry stuff eg spices that can’t be purchased in Aldi

Thursday
    3.27 - Co Op - milk and yogurt -

Friday
    25.01 Aldi

Need to sit down and put a plan down for next week - it is just a rough sketch in my head at the mo!
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    I've just been into Morrisons to get a loaf of bread (50p) and some ice cream cones (£1.25), so i could get some cash to go into a different cash only shop in the town (DD needed a phone charger).

Nothing else spent on food.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    £29.40 for me so far. I'm out the end of a really stressful month (so lots of ready meals). I WILL stay under budget this month.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just been to Ald1 for the top up shop, spent £15.66. Hoping it'll last until next wednesday/thursday when I do the main weekly shop.
    Hubby bought home a huge bag of mixed fruit tonight, so if anyone has got any good recipes for using it up! He plans to make some hot cross buns.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • SilverBird_2
    Options
    Spent £32.91 in L1dl and £45.08 in Farmf00ds (£5 discount with coupon!) so a total of £77.99 for today. Scary, but some of this will last throughout the month so not so bad really. The L1dl spend did include £3.49 for a bottle of wine to help ease the shock of needing so much today ;) but I did manage to resist the cake and chocolate :)
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    £29 vanished at the market this morning; that bought me a vast amount of cheese & milk (raw Guernsey, much loved by the girls) an entire box of mushrooms - I may need to fire up the dehydrator, but they got through the last box inside a week - and various other assorted fruit & veg, plus bread. Meat was done on Wednesday but I may need to top that up a little on Sunday; we're 6 this weekend as DS3 is home. I didn't buy fish, which I normally do, as DS3 can't bear even the smell, but there's some in the freezer to refer to anyway once he's back at uni.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Hev
    Hev Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just starting in on February and already down £54 :eek: I do have a large sack of potatoes and another of onions and a tray of eggs so well stocked and hoping I don't have to buy a lot else for a while !!!129310;
    Some people are so poor all they have is money ;)
    Jan 2018 GC £165.74/£200 = £34.26 left
    Feb 2018 GC £54/£200 = £146 left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family