PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options
Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year :D

Happy reading in 2017!

Bookworm.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Morning,

Would love to join in this year! I'm aiming to read 75 books in 2017.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy New Year, happy new book list.

I only managed 26/41 books from my reading challenge last year (persevered with ones I didn't really enjoy). I'm hoping to do better this year. There are 40 +12 ideas on the list.

I'm still reading "Watchmen", a graphic novel. It's ok, but probably could have made a better choice, maybe "Persepolis". I've reserved "The truth about the Harry Quebert affair" by Joel Dicker as 'book recommended by a librarian'.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just started Dead Girls Dancing, by Graham Masters. It was on Amazon for 99p.

It's good, but not the next to the last I read. Some changes in the main character's life have given away problems, in books 6 & 7.

I do recommend them to anyone who likes thrillers. Kate Maguire is a DCI in face of much male prejudice.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd like to join again, if only to remind me to keep reading. Have recommenced reading A Street Cat Named Bob.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Please may I join? I love reading but find that since I got my Kindle/ Kindle app I actually read less than when I read "real" books. Its too easy to flip into emails/ FB/IG etc when using an Ipad. When I went to bed with a book I read the book and that was it! Does that make sense? I really miss books, the actual choosing and browsing looking for the next great read!
    That said, I have several books on my Kindle " bookshelf" so will persevere.
    Over the Christmas holidays I read the first two in Peter May's Lewis trilogy,
    The Blackhouse and The Lewis Man and I am about to start the third, The Chess Men. Good crime novels with lovely descriptive writing set in the Outer Hebrides.
    Looking forward to some good recommendations! Happy reading x

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Evening everyone

May I join again after I was a miserable fail last year? My actual goal was reading a book a week but it was more one a month as I had so many rubbish books and just lost my reading mojo. So this has to change in 2017 as there are so many books I want to read or reread. So goal is 36 books by the end of the year, if I can make it to 52 even better but I don't put any pressure on me as this clearly does not work.

So I'm starting with some light but very funny reading, got my hands on a complete series of books of which I have read two or three and really loved them.

Scott,+Mary+-+Breakfast+at+Six.jpg
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would like to join in again this year.

I have targeted to read 30 books this year, about 1 every 10 days or so.

My first book (started New Years Day) is City Of Thieves by David Benihoff
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    I'd like to join in please. I'm only aiming for one book per month. This year I've set myself a challenge to only read books from the library, so I'm hoping to try some books I'd not usually consider if I was risking money on them. Last year I mostly read crime fiction but probably need to broaden out a bit so looking forward to seeing what everyone is reading.
  • Cool_Runnings
    Options
    I've set myself a target of 26 books this year, so I shall try to be active throughout this topic. I'm usually inconsistent with my reading time, and I definitely want to be more regular, so a book every two weeks target will hopefully help.

I generally go for fantasy, horror, historical action, a bit of sci-fi. I have been reading a bit more non-fiction of late though. Not too long before Christmas I finished An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield (the singing ISS astronaut). Definitely worth a read if you've any interest in space.

I have 65 unread books on my shelves so I'm hoping to make a big indent in to them, though there are plenty I want to re-read too.
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    I'm going to go with a target of 40... I used to read a couple of books a week, but since my job got more stressful, I've been reading less, which is a pity as it helps me relax.

I like non fiction, fantasy, sci fi, comics, horror...all sorts really. Not into romances or "chick lit" much.

First one of the year just finished -Spark Joy by Marie Kondo. I loved her first book but if you've read that I wouldn't bother with this. It doesn't really add much, or didn't for me anyway. A quick read though, so no loss.

Currently reading a graphic novel called I Kill Giants, which I'm really enjoying.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure