PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    What a PITA Halogen - good luck!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 5:44PM
    :-) I turned it round and it's only off by 2 inches now....might be able to bodge it as its jersey.
    Speaking of which. Laura-Elsewhere- How do you do the hems? I can manage zig-zag or 3 step zigzag but i find they are not stretchy enough for t-shirt hems which then pop stitches during wear. Would be nice to find a satisfactory home alternative to cover stitch.
    I do own an overlocker but I never use it as it's such a PITA to thread!
  • halogen, tbh I usually don't bother hemming the bottom - I use fairly heavy cotton jersey and it doesn't fray.

The edges of the sleeves I just quickly handstitch bias binding onto, then turn it under and catch-stitch that down. But if you have a sewing machine that does zig-zag stitching that should work - set it for the stretchiest zig-zag possible https://www.contrado.co.uk/blog/how-to-sew-stretchy-fabric/
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • silvasava
    Have just 'tailored' some new boxers for DH - I got him the usual XL but he looked like Eric Morecambe in his bellclapper shorts! Just took the sideseams in on both sides so now they're a bit more fitted and I don't have a fit of the giggles!
    Still waiting to hear if my HD sewing machine can be fixed or not :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    silvasava wrote: »
    What a PITA Halogen - good luck!
    Pain In The A.....$£

Kittie, I used to use a notebook, or photoalbum with postcards in it. Now I use an app on my *phone called Cora. You have to pay for the premium version but I've been really pleased with it.

I have been away on and off for a few days. I'm afraid I hit one of my favourite fabric shops (Fine Fabrics in Harrogate), didn't find what I 'needed', but found some other suitable items instead. One of these was a very fine jersey with white anchors and hearts on it. When I was away on my other trip at the weekend I found a scarf in cream with little navy anchors on it. Perfect!

I have also spent some time deciding what I am going to make for a few things for a trip in the autumn. I want them to go with a recycled wool coat that I have. A little capsule if you like.

I was surprised to find that the things I took with me on this week's minibreaks are almost all Me-made rather than RTW.
    - Teal long sleeved t shirst
    -black long sleeved t shirt
    -blues and greys paisley long sleeved tunic top,
    -teal and grey knit tunic top.
    -Grey 'coatigan'
    2 pr of hand knitted socks

I also took RTW black leggings, navy leggings, a navy vest top. .
    Purchased gilet/scarves
    Recycled wool coat on the uK trip, was very cold in North Yorks! Matching hand warmers
    -purchased cashmere sweater dress

Only one item went with me (on both trips) that didnt get warm, that was a spare top. It had been a dress that I got in the M&S and I altered to tunic length and added godets.

So the new group of clothes. A full week away in autumn half term in our twin town in Germany. so a few things needed. I will have RTW leggings under tunics.
    A couple of long sleeved t shirts, black one will be fine to go and probably burgundy. I have the fabric for this. Probably some more tunic tops in my TNT pattern, but need to check the size. I lost some weight last year, so some of my existing tops have been taken in.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • nooney
    nooney Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Craftsy has free lessons for this weekend. 2nd to 4th March.
  • silvasava
    Well my old singer has been repaired! Haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it will last me another 30 years!! One Dodger nearly made - just needs a small amount of stitching and the other to be done. Then I'll get DH to do all the metal eyelets for me. Too cold to work in the dining room at the moment but do need to get a wriggle on with them!
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    halogen, tbh I usually don't bother hemming the bottom - I use fairly heavy cotton jersey and it doesn't fray.

The edges of the sleeves I just quickly handstitch bias binding onto, then turn it under and catch-stitch that down. But if you have a sewing machine that does zig-zag stitching that should work - set it for the stretchiest zig-zag possible https://www.contrado.co.uk/blog/how-to-sew-stretchy-fabric/

yeah I need to use fairly lightweight fabric- my work environment could be mistaken for a sauna most days and iIm also fairly 'heavy' on clothes and I find even stretchy zigzags pop stitches. I've taken to using wooly nylon thread on hems though and that seems better.

Plus I found instructions on how to draft from scratch my troublesome pattern and now it fits togethet. Just need to actually sew it together and see if it fits as well!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooh thanks nooney, perfect weekend for watching

threading overlockers. Its a very easy job if you remember to leave the looper tails long enough when you cut the old thread, just make a tidy knot and gently pull through, saves a lot of time and frustration

Has anyone made top24 yet? I am thinking that might be my one make this spring, first in denim and later in boiled wool. It would make a fab layering layer for winter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    yay the craftsy offer is good. I just started watching sewing mistakes, looks a good one
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback