PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

lodger with a part time business

I currently have a lodger and I am aware that he is getting a part time business off the ground during evenings and weekends. He works full time in a paid job during the day.
I checked the rules for rent a room which say that I can use the scheme if my "lodger works in your home in the evening or at weekends".
Has anyone had any problem with the lodger using your home address as the business contact address? It has only occurred to me today when some business mail arrived for him.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    katejo wrote: »
    I currently have a lodger ....he is getting a part time business off the ground during evenings and weekends.

I checked the rules for rent a room which say that I can use the scheme if my "lodger works in your home in the evening or at weekends".
    So what do you imagine the problem is?

But if you are unhappy with what he is doing, give him a week's notice.

(you did specify a week's notice in the contract yes?)
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    So what do you imagine the problem is?

But if you are unhappy with what he is doing, give him a week's notice.

(you did specify a week's notice in the contract yes?)

No I don't want to get rid of him. He has been a good lodger and has already been with me over 2 years. I just wondered whether it was a problem re. using my address for his business.
    I always give a month's notice to my lodgers if required which has only ever happened once.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport