calor gas bottles

does anyone know the cost of calor bottles ? im thinking of buying a heater for next winter to cut my npower bill.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    15kg Cylinder & refill
    Price: £53.93

15kg Refill
    Price: £25.51

you need the cylnder the first time , then do a swap each refill
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You do not have to use Calor on portable lpg heaters. There are loads of other bottled gas suppliers form garages, DIY stores, garden centres etc.. It is definitely worth shopping around for the cheapest/most convenient.
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We use Macgas. It is £10 deposit and £17.95 for a refill (15kg).
  • The question I have is: How does Calor/Propane/Butane compare with mains gas cost wise these days?

Many years ago we used in when living in the countryside and it was clean and efficient and easy to switch bottle over etc., But am not out of loop re price comparison.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2011 at 5:46PM
    revmonk wrote: »
    The question I have is: How does Calor/Propane/Butane compare with mains gas cost wise these days?

Many years ago we used in when living in the countryside and it was clean and efficient and easy to switch bottle over etc., But am not out of loop re price comparison.

Welcome to the forum!

Heating costs? Check out Nottingham Energy Partnership (inserting local figures):

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/

Cylinder costs? For prices of 47kg cylinders please see this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=46461981#post46461981

No current threads for small 15 kg cylinders (but maybe this will develop?).

Bulk LPG prices?
    - please see this thread (and post quotes you get!):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=46499911#post46499911

• tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Small bottle was £31 by February which was the last time I bought a bottle. Used to be £21 a couple of years ago, but then both mains gas and bottled has gone up in price a lot recently.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They all try to tie you in.

1. The regulator, i.e. the connector at the end of the rubber tube. So you have to buy another one to use a different brand.

2. The bottle.

You always run out when it's cold (right?), which is when everybody else runs out, and it means driving round ALL the local suppliers, who have ALL sold out.

So, I now have TWO Calorgas bottles. If I switch brand, I will have FOUR bottles.

They charge a "deposit" for the bottle, but you cannot get it back. My local supplier said they will take it back for a reducing amount depending on how long I keep it, and only if I keep the receipt that I bought it from them. So if you were entertaining any idea of handing the bottle back when winter is over, and then get another one next winter, think again.

Very good as a back up when the central heating stops working, otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure