IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

pcn due to rail delay

Last Thursday I received a pcn for not displaying a valid ticket at East Grinstead railway station. Normally I get on the train and book on line (via Vinci) for my parking once I get to work. Unfortunately a one hour journey became a 5 hour nightmare and we ended up being evacuated from the train after a 3 hour halt outside Clapham Junction. I returned to my car hours later after abandoning any ambition to go to work and found myself a proud owner of the PCN - any thoughts how to proceed with this?

Comments

• Northlakes
    Northlakes Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My first thoughts are that due to a problem caused by Network Rail you should firstly call at the station and see if they can get the ticket cancelled.
    If they go into denial you should then follow the procedures outlined in the NEWBIES section await the NTK and don't admit who was driving as this is probably not-relevant land for POFA 2012.
    Come back for more guidance.
    REVENGE IS A DISH BETTER SERVED COLD
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No doubt they will say you could have paid online while twiddling your thumbs for 5 hours.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Frustration of contract...
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Who issued the PCN?
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Doesn't sound like a great way of doing things. You're parked there without permission until you get to work....
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Paddie01
    Paddie01 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I would have if we had not been in a cutting trapped in a Gaussian cage
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do the signs at the car park allow you to buy your ticket in arrears? It sounds like your lucky you don't get more tickets between the time you park and the time you pay for the parking?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2015 at 11:06PM
    @ OP I am trying to assist here

Which company issued the PCN? (second time of asking).

Does the PCN make any mention of Railway Byelaws?
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • gw23
    gw23 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stator wrote: »
    Do the signs at the car park allow you to buy your ticket in arrears? It sounds like your lucky you don't get more tickets between the time you park and the time you pay for the parking?

Quite normal these days with people paying on mobile devices - at the hospital I frequently visit you can pay up to midnight on the same day as parking.

However, this doesn't explain why the OP got a PCN if payments are allowed in arrears. Eg - if you can pay in arrears up until midnight, a PCN shouldn't be issued until after midnight.
  • Paddie01
    Paddie01 Posts: 18 Forumite
    the pcn was issued by Meteor - reason given "in breach of the terms and conditions: failing to display a valid ticket or voucher "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure