Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When have I alluded to my wishes being more important?

Let my wife make the house as she wants it? No thank you, NG. I am here a lot more than she is and her ideas for the house are for the most part ghastly. I've every intention to finish the house but it is not my main priority and at the moment

Sorry Alex, but you answered your own question there ;)

You don't sound in a great place today, everything seemed much more positive lately for you. People's comments not agreeing may not help when you feel like that too, but you do write quite a personal mfw diary warts and all which does encourage that (nothing wrong with that, I do the same !) I hope you have a better week, you have achieved so much this year, one month with no op is a small blip :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I agree, it's only one op missed and when you think how much work you have had done, you have done brilliantly well this last year.

I'll say what I have said before....YOU HAVE NOT FAILED. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. YOU ARE NOT A BAD PERSON.

Sorry for shouting but I do think you need to have this said to you in a very loud voice!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Not had a great day today. Really questioning the future and some of the choices I've made which directly impacts on my income. To be honest, I'm making even less money as of late and spending more. We won't overpay this month and I've no motivation to try to make some money to be put into our non-existent savings. Tried to bring up potential time scales for selling the house but that wasn't one of my wisest moves. :rotfl:

Sorry you're feeling this way, I've been in the same slump before re: finances and it can be hard to break out of.
    Renovating the bathroom would cost the purchase price of the MG plus the c.£2,000 I've spent on it. To be honest, it seems like a lot of money to spend on this place again.

My point was to illustrate it still functions perfectly well. As this is the money SAVING expert, do you really think it is worth replacing for those reasons?

This seems to hearken back to earlier in your thread when you kept bringing up the SAVING aspect of the site to justify buying...something. Pens, maybe. ;) Your posts seem quite keen on prioritising saving to buy (and/or renovate) classic cars (which could also be "saved" by not doing it in the first place :rotfl:) and not on saving to give yourselves a financial cushion or fix up your house. There's nothing wrong with your priority being a car over the place you live in, as long as it works for you/your family, but it is quite a disconnect from the overall tone of MSE which is more towards the frugal side (and emphasises needs over wants, as evidenced by "renting your parking space" being in the motoring section over "how to spend 2k more on a car you just bought and don't need to drive anywhere" ;)). Hence the (gentle!) pushback on your thread, I think. As I said, if it works for you and your family, great, but it sounds like MrsK would like the bathroom redone, so maybe it doesn't?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Tried to bring up potential time scales for selling the house but that wasn't one of my wisest moves. :rotfl:

My point was to illustrate it still functions perfectly well. As this is the money SAVING expert, do you really think it is worth replacing for those reasons?[/

I understand where you're coming from re. school. Beyond what happened, I'm unimpressed by the way it was handled by the school. That has concerned me as much as the crime itself.

Sorry to hear you've not had a good day Alex but I really think sometimes you can be your own worst enemy.

When you brought up the idea of selling the house and moving, where were you planning to move to? If you're still wanting to move in with your parents I can see why MrsK wasn't receptive.

MrsK wants a comfortable family home for your family. That's the three of you. I'm you could find a decorative style for the bathroom that would please you both. I think this goes way beyond the bathroom and comes down to the fact that you still see your real home being your parents' house.

From memory, you wanted the school to search children and maybe even call the police. That just isn't going to happen over a pen, however precious it is to you. It would need to have been something like good evidence over a suspected weapon to bring about this sort of action.

I think we all have up and down times with finances. Some months there are just more outgoings than others. What would you normally do to make some money?

Hope today's a better day for you.:)
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    zcrat41 wrote: »
    A 50 year old bathroom in a Coke colour will put off an awful lot of potential buyers if you're wanting to sell.

I know it needs to be dealt with before any sale happens. :)
    newgirly wrote: »
    When have I alluded to my wishes being more important?

Let my wife make the house as she wants it? No thank you, NG. I am here a lot more than she is and her ideas for the house are for the most part ghastly. I've every intention to finish the house but it is not my main priority and at the moment

Sorry Alex, but you answered your own question there ;)

You don't sound in a great place today, everything seemed much more positive lately for you. People's comments not agreeing may not help when you feel like that too, but you do write quite a personal mfw diary warts and all which does encourage that (nothing wrong with that, I do the same !) I hope you have a better week, you have achieved so much this year, one month with no op is a small blip :)

:rotfl: That comment didn't sound very nice, I'll admit. :o My wife understands I have final say over what happens to the house because I'm here more and also she admits I have good ideas which work well when executed.

Thank you, NG. :) Things have been slipping for a few days now and I'm finding it hard to stay positive. Today has been a real low point for various reasons, trying to remember that a bad day doesn't have to mean tomorrow is a bad day also. :)

It's not the lack of an OP which is bothering me too much. The television is the reason for this month's blip; I'm actually quite pleased with that purchase. Whilst we haven't watched it much, tonight my wife and I decided to watch a film for the first time in forever and it was a rather pleasant experience. At the moment I am concerned about making an income other than that guaranteed by my parents which often seems like more an allowance than an actual income. :o
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I agree, it's only one op missed and when you think how much work you have had done, you have done brilliantly well this last year.

I'll say what I have said before....YOU HAVE NOT FAILED. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. YOU ARE NOT A BAD PERSON.

Sorry for shouting but I do think you need to have this said to you in a very loud voice!

Thanks, Sue. Wish I could say that I thought I'd done well, just seems like another wasted year to me. :(

:rotfl: Not sure I'll ever believe that, no matter how loud you shout.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorry you're feeling this way, I've been in the same slump before re: finances and it can be hard to break out of.

This seems to hearken back to earlier in your thread when you kept bringing up the SAVING aspect of the site to justify buying...something. Pens, maybe. ;) Your posts seem quite keen on prioritising saving to buy (and/or renovate) classic cars (which could also be "saved" by not doing it in the first place :rotfl:) and not on saving to give yourselves a financial cushion or fix up your house. There's nothing wrong with your priority being a car over the place you live in, as long as it works for you/your family, but it is quite a disconnect from the overall tone of MSE which is more towards the frugal side (and emphasises needs over wants, as evidenced by "renting your parking space" being in the motoring section over "how to spend 2k more on a car you just bought and don't need to drive anywhere" ;)). Hence the (gentle!) pushback on your thread, I think. As I said, if it works for you and your family, great, but it sounds like MrsK would like the bathroom redone, so maybe it doesn't?

I'm finding being self employed particularly difficult at the moment as my daily motivation is very low. Could hardly drag myself out of bed this morning, let alone find the motivation to do anything which would earn money. :o There's a part of me that wants to do well in my own right and is really rather embarrassed by the fact my wife and parents pay my way but I can't see a way to make it happen.

My wife also likes cars but thinks things are getting a little out of hand. Currently we have 6 cars and I suppose I have been indulging 4 of them a little too much as of late. I think we should sell a couple but I can't make my mind up. One of the six is Mrs K's company car, so that obviously cannot go anywhere. I also have my LR which is not being sold. The other four are all classics which I am quite deeply attached to: one I've had for longer than I've known my wife and spent a ridiculous amount of money on, one is just like a car my father had when I was a schoolboy, one is the MG and the final one is an everyday classic saloon which we can use no matter the weather or occasion. They all serve a purpose and I've also seen another car which would be very nice to have too. :o On the other hand I've not bought a pen for a month or so, though. :D As for this being money saving, it is because all these things I invest in are appreciating assets. :)
    maman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you've not had a good day Alex but I really think sometimes you can be your own worst enemy.

When you brought up the idea of selling the house and moving, where were you planning to move to? If you're still wanting to move in with your parents I can see why MrsK wasn't receptive.

MrsK wants a comfortable family home for your family. That's the three of you. I'm you could find a decorative style for the bathroom that would please you both. I think this goes way beyond the bathroom and comes down to the fact that you still see your real home being your parents' house.

From memory, you wanted the school to search children and maybe even call the police. That just isn't going to happen over a pen, however precious it is to you. It would need to have been something like good evidence over a suspected weapon to bring about this sort of action.

I think we all have up and down times with finances. Some months there are just more outgoings than others. What would you normally do to make some money?

Hope today's a better day for you.:)

I know I am, maman. Still can't seem to pull myself away from it, though.

Yes, moving home but perhaps staying here for another five years. You're right about where I think of as "home". Not sure why my wife should get everything she wants - if we stay here five years longer, she will have been here for nigh on fifteen years at that point. We could then have fifteen years in my parents' house before potentially passing it onto our son and moving away, perhaps to the South of France or Cornwall or somewhere else. I don't really know my long term plans but if she has fifteen years here, surely I should have fifteen years living somewhere I am happy to call "home"?

I cannot see how an act of theft can be dealt with like this, to be honest. Sentimental value aside, surely had the child stolen £275 from a shop (in cash or goods), it would be dealt with in a very different manner? My mother (who gave me the pencil) thinks I ought not go back.

The problem is me not being able to face making money. I usually am involved with buying, restoring and selling antique furniture and other antique / collectable items but just cannot face dealing with it and also with customers. I do earn an income from teaching Music also but that is combined with my wife's income to pay our day to day expenses, so not of any help. :mad:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Alex you are clearly practical and creative so why not buy a cheap white bathroom suite and create???
    have seen a old buffet table sideboard turned into a double sink vanity unit - it was really stunning and lots of other old pieces could be re-purposed. You might also create a room you love and feel the house belonged to you then.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1 wrote: »
    Alex you are clearly practical and creative so why not buy a cheap white bathroom suite and create???
    have seen a old buffet table sideboard turned into a double sink vanity unit - it was really stunning and lots of other old pieces could be re-purposed. You might also create a room you love and feel the house belonged to you then.

Great idea Watty

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Great idea Watty

MCI

Thanks for the suggestion, Watty. :)

I have a good idea of what I want to do with the bathroom (think I discussed on here before) but at the moment we cannot afford to do it.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Well, today my pencil was returned by "child b" (the one I've spent a lot of time, effort and money on). All very apologetic, guilty and weepy. Apparently she did it because she "wanted to know what it was like to have a silver pencil in her violin case"???! I honestly still do not know how to react to that.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills