Santander 123 rate to be cut to 1.5%

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Wow, Martins advice, stay with Santander till it drops, then see what others do, No shxx Sherlock.

Don't knock it, it's made him £100 million after all.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ceredigion wrote: »
    Or put a quid in their savings account

I don't actually want to switch, I'm happy where I am. But I was hoping FD were like Nationwide, TSB and Tesco who have current accounts offering interest without too many conditions and certainly not having to switch.

If I could open a FD First account without switching, and a Savings account with a nominal balance - to start their Regular Saver, that would suit me.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    If I could open a FD First account without switching, and a Savings account with a nominal balance - to start their Regular Saver, that would suit me.

What is stopping you?
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Schiff.
    open a FD current account.
    open a FD savings account. (means no £10.00 monthly fee and no need to deposit or leave £1000.00 in account).
    leave say £1.00 in each.
    open regular saver ensuring £300.00 is in the FD current account. then £300.00 each month on the same date.
    job done.
    no more than £2.00 tied up and no fee's.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    djpailo wrote: »
    The advice Martin gives is correct. Wait and see what the other banks are going to do. It may well be that 1.5% may still end up as a decent rate in comparison to others. I myself am going to open up a fixed bond for five years which has a decent rate and put some money away for the future. I can't see interest rates getting any higher and even the regular savers might go down (TSB went down to 2% and I think Lloyds went down too?).
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Wow, Martins advice, stay with Santander till it drops, then see what others do, No shxx Sherlock.

Not necessarily the best idea to wait - fixed rate bonds are starting to drop as well, see Vanquis have just reduced all theirs, although not by 50%!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    1kevfp wrote: »
    First Direct ref their cuts have stated " when setting our rates we take into consideration a number of factors, including COMPETITOR ACTIVITY !" That smells of collusion to me... looks like premium bonds for me instead of a poxy .90% from F.D- worth the gamble ?

Or competition?:cool:
  • 1kevfp
    1kevfp Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My issue 17 Saga telephone savings account @1.3% finishes in October and they are offering a healthy ��1.0% for their issue 18 telephone saver - if anyone is "interested?"
  • Chris2000
    Chris2000 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received their letter about the change yesterday. It highlights the alternative 123 Lite account which is briefly mentioned in the MSE blog article, which pays the same cashback but no interest for a lower monthly fee of £1.

In effect, Santander are charging an extra fee of £48pa (not tax deductible) in order to earn interest, so the headline interest rate of 1.5%pa is a bit misleading. Even on a full £20,000 balance they are only really paying 1.25% gross, allowing for the £48pa in extra fees compared with the Lite version.

For anyone who pays tax on savings interest, the effective gross rate is even lower because the monthly fee cannot be offset against the interest earned for tax purposes. For someone who pays higher rate tax on marginal savings income, the effective net rate is only 0.654% (=((0.6*298)-48)/20000) which is equivalent to a gross rate of 1.1%.

For balances of less than £20,000 the effective interest rate is even lower. Many customers with less than the full £20,000 savings would be better off with a Lite account and a separate savings account after these changes. Santander will need to handle this very carefully to ensure that customers are treated fairly.
  • bravotango
    bravotango Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess it's one of those situations where tracker/variable mortgages will get cheaper for people, but then if you hold savings, you'll end up "partly" paying for it in lost interest if you are not on fixed term savings.
    Save Save Save
    :)
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2016 at 5:14PM
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Not necessarily the best idea to wait - fixed rate bonds are starting to drop as well, see Vanquis have just reduced all theirs, although not by 50%!
    just looked at Atom, 2yr @ 2.2%,but never read any reviews on it?
    reckon it won't be around long.but, only up to 10k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport