Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Comments

• shackman
    shackman Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2015 at 11:37AM
    try text removed by MSE Forum Team). He's "Head of Customer Escalation & Resolution, Customer Service".

I only found out about Richard after I contacted the company's CEO, Neil Clitheroe. He's been having problems with emails because of the CEO email web site, so he's changed his inbox address to try text removed by MSE Forum Team). He too will be glad to help.

You can reach either of them via Scottish Power's switchboard which is a strangely elusive phone number. It is, in fact 0141 568 2000

Hope some of you find that helpful.
  • sheilanick
    sheilanick Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I submitted final meter readings on 16 June, and rang today to query why I have still not received my £400 refund. It appears that there has been a bill block on my account since May, meaning they cannot issue a refund. On querying the reason, I am told that it is because my actual meter readings are lower than their last estimated reading in January. Because there appears to be nil usage they have blocked my account. No-one has contacted me to query the readings or thought to read the meters, so I wonder how much longer I would have been waiting if I hadn't contacted them.

Three long calls later and I am yet to speak to anyone at Scottish Power who can lift the bill block. I agree with the posters who have had trouble in getting their calls answered, in total, I have spent over 4 hours on hold today
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 July 2014 at 6:34PM
    I switched away from SP to OVO as they were just so much cheaper. Gave OVO all my meter readings on the switch day.

SP then sent my final Gas bill based on ESTIMATED reading which were inaccurate, almost double.

Whenever you try to ring them, you're waiting on average 45-60 minutes listening to music. Incredible, you'd think that they would have faster call answering times (more staff) but they obviously work on biggest margins for shareholders.

The online option for a call back never works, which ever time slot you pick it says its unavailable. Here's an idea, why not show the 'available' time slots then you're not clicking on every 15 minute slot throughout the day only to be told each one unavailable.

So then you send a message through the online messaging system which only lets you put a message about the length of a tweet! Gave them my actual gas readings on the switch date and asked for an actual bill.

About 7 days later, the response I got was complete wrong and the person who dealt with the query completely misunderstood the request and advised that the bill would not be changed! More information here in a seperate thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4996977&highlight=

So obviously not happy with that response. Needing to speak to someone, I had to wait almost an hour on the phone which is unacceptable when you're trying to sort out THEIR mess.

My experiences when you finally get to speak to someone on the phone is that is that they're nice and polite, and then you put the phone down thinking that its all fixed now. Then a week later you get a reminder of the outstanding bill and its almost as if the original telephone conversation never took place!

So after escalating the dispute that with SP they have now (some 3 months after I switched) given me an ACTUAL bill which is almost half the estimated bill.

I paid the bill on 30 June and hoped that would be the end of it. Good riddance.

Today, 7 July received a call from their debt collection agency which put me on hold (after ringing me! - it was a voice mail 'please hold the line message'!). SO they're still chasing me for money they received over a week ago.

I'm never going back to them even if they have a cheaper tariff. Worst company I've ever dealt with.

Incredible level incompetence at every step of the way.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    maas wrote: »
    I'm never going back to them even if they have a cheaper tariff. Worst company I've ever dealt with.

Oh how I agree....

They are a shockingly bad company to deal with. Email is no better that the telephone as they have a habit of answering a question I didn't ask (possibly outsourced to India?). I need to change to a tariff without an exit fee and them move away from them. I really don't care if they are cheaper; their service stinks.
    Je suis sabot...
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh how I agree....

They are a shockingly bad company to deal with. Email is no better that the telephone as they have a habit of answering a question I didn't ask (possibly outsourced to India?). I need to change to a tariff without an exit fee and them move away from them. I really don't care if they are cheaper; their service stinks.

Just reading through some of the other comments in the thread and its the same problems over and over again, so its not isolated.
    1. Extremely long call waiting times, upwards of an hour
    2. Friendly call centre staff who dont actually solve anything
    3. 5-7 day wait for email replies and the replies are generally useless
    4. Switching away they never bill off actual readings, they just generate estimated bills and demand you pay them even after you reiterate the actual meter readings

Having read through other peoples complaints here (and my own experience) I am just so glad I never gave them my DD details. They'd have just taken all that money for the estimated bill and I'd be still fighting now to get it back now.

I dont actually blame the staff who work there, its Management who just operate to the largest margins for shareholders, and have staff overworked. The guys answering the emails probably have to deal with X amount a day so they just give copy and paste answers which never deal with the actual query.
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I always get Scottish people when i call and like someone else said they are really nice and say they will sort it but it never happens.
    I think if they sorted out the people like me with DD set at £00 the people who are owed money might get their money back.
    There again pigs might fly.
  • POLAR_BILL
    POLAR_BILL Posts: 142 Forumite
    I have changed to a tariff with no exit fees with a view to change supplier. Thinking of First Utility where I could save nearly £100 a year. Having read the reviews I am not sure as they are horrendous. As there is also an exit fee of £30 per fuel I really don't know what to do. Has anyone had experience of First Utility? Are they as bad as the reviews suggest?
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Are any of them any good?Scottish Power were great for years,i recommended them to everyone.Then since a year ago problems started and now they seem to be upsetting most people.

However though I have had a few little niggles, on the whole mine and my Mum's account seem to be ok.When it came to the yearly review they refunded all the credit balance without being asked and didn't put up the monthly DD.We also got the warm home discount without any trouble.

Maybe it's because we haven't applied to leave,that and newbies seem to have the most problems.But io do agree their contact abilty is appalling.
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    I been with SP for years and i had no problems with them till last year when they put me on the wrong tariff and from then on they have been just useless. So its not only new customers.How can the problems that are happening still be blamed on the new system/software they put in last summer! If it is the system/software doing all the problems i am sure they would have sorted it out by now or got their money back by changing the software.
  • POLAR_BILL
    POLAR_BILL Posts: 142 Forumite
    I was thinking of changing to First Utility but still not sure. My neighbour changed when her Scottish Power fix ended December last and it has taken SIX months transferring both fuels.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback