Notice to Newcomers - re Trolls - Part 10

Options
Tixy
Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
edited 15 February 2011 at 4:07PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello and Welcome

A long time ago Pania wrote the message below to Newcomers or anyone who comes across a troll on the forum

Over the last few weeks we have had a number of "troll" attacks on the boards.

What is a Troll?
A troll is a person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board or someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made. If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, asking for help and advice, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty!

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants. So to get rid of the offending post, at the bottom of the post towards the right hand side you’ll see a red "Warning" triangle within a blue “Report” icon, as shown below:
report.gif
Click the icon and then "send" the message which will inform the MSE team of the post, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the troll by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis
PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
or "It costs nowt to be nice"

Comments

• Tixy
    Options
    The purpose of this thread (and the previous 9!) is to keep the above message on the first page of the DFW forum so that new posters can see the message and hopefully won't be put off by any nasty comments.

There is also this new guidance from MSE What's a troll/alter ego?

We 'BUMP' this thread throughout the day to push it back to the top of the page. If you see it dropping off the page please feel free to pop in and give it a bump.

If you are new to the forum and need help and advice on your debts then plese start a new thread on the main DFW page and people will be along to offer help.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Thanks Tixy.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • handyman123_2
    Options
    WoW NTN10. I must look around the archives and see when I came on board, I think it was NTN 7 ? I think NTN 6 was on the go when I was still lurking in the shadows. (someone say No Change there then :rotfl:)
    That's amazing between 12,000 and 16,000 posts and bumps since last March. That must be some hard drive that MSE has.:rotfl:

Anyway now Handy has left his mark (or Blemish) on the new thread, remember we do this for a serious purpose. We were all "Newbies" once, and the reason we are still here is the help, advise and support we received when we first joined MSE.

So any Newcomers out there, drop in for a chat and a virtual Cuppa.
    All are welcome.:beer:

Regards to all, Handy.:D
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.
  • Sunnylooloo
    Sunnylooloo Posts: 4,295 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely shiney new thread!

Fab words from Tixy and Handy! and a warm welcome to all.

I am relative a newbie to this thread think I joined in about NTN 8 before that was on the BR one bumping away.

Handy....... well done on helping that little Monkey pass his test! well chuffed!

xx
    The worst cliques are those which consist of one man ~ George Bernard Shaw
    Holiday Saving fund 2010 = £25.00 :DWeightLoss 2010 = +6lbs :(
    BSC 292
    June NSD 11 :TJuly NSD 15:TAugust NSD 14:TSeptember 9:T October 19:jNovember 15/11
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all x

Thanks Tixy and Handy :A:A
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • Tixy
    Options
    bump.gif
    Lunchtime BUMP
  • handyman123_2
    Options
    Afternoon bump, we are falling of page 1 fast today. Looks like its busy out there.:D
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wonderful words from all the old timers :j..

Having a bad day...am tired and have the D&G's...:(

And now can't sleep cos there's workmen on the landing laying new flooring so they'll be here till 4.30 at least :(

E
    PS.
    zZogY.gif
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • Tixy
    Options
    BUMP from page 2

Thought I'd include a link to some more threads that might be useful whilst we are still on the first page. To any newbies lurking these threads are worth a read to get an idea of what the Debt Free Wannabe board is about.

Help for First Time Posters & SOA Calculator

IMPORTANT - Where to seek professional impartial advice about your debts.

The Big Guide to Becoming Debt Free

The DFW Dictionary (glossary of abbreviations)

Debt-Free Wannabee Newbies Guide: Challenges, Honour Roll, Nerds & Where to start!

I know some are stickies already but we all know people don't always read the stickies!!

Erme - til 4.30! I can't believe it, I'm sure most workmen knock off about 3 (handy excluded of course!)
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon All, can't get over the fact it's time for a new thread.
    £71.93/ £180.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport