Housing Help

Hi Everyone,

Im after advise please. I have recently started a DMP with Step Change to finally cope with mounting debts. I have also sold my house to free up the equity to clear some of the debts. However I am now faced with the predicament where my credit rating over the passed year has really been affected and I feel Im not in a position to rent a property through an agency due to this. I m unable to find any private rentals and with the completion date of the sale getting closer I am now starting to worry. Has anybody been in this situation that can give advice as to what my options are? I have a fairy good salary but awful credit rating due to my recent circumstances. Im married with three young children but I am the only financial provider at the moment. I have thought about speaking with my local council but worried that my income will not be considered low enough to receive help despite my current debts. This is my first post and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
-B-

Comments

• Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 909
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I dont think your salary will stop you getting rehoused - it may just mean you have to pay a higher level of rent.

Could you try private landlords who will accept maybe a few months rent upfront? I realise this may be impractical until after the house sale.

There are some tips here. http://www.tenantstips.com/Home/How-to-rent/How-do-I-apply-to-rent/How-to-rent-or-let-a-flat-house-apartment-if-you-have-had-bad-credit-ccjs-adverse-credit-bankruptcy-IVA#.WAJ5A_krK00
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • -B-
    -B- Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi Karonher,
    Thank you for the reply and the link. Unfortunately because of my current DMP arrangement I dont think I am in a position to pay a few months upfront, as every spare bit of income goes towards my debts. I will follow up the advice in the link and speak to some agents and explain my situation and income and see what they recommend. Ideally I would like to to receive help from the council until my situation improves. I dont mind paying a higher rate due to my income, as it will probably be significantly less than my current mortgage repayments.

Many thanks
  • Housing is a critical spend, so surely your DMP provider would agree that an amount of your equity be allocated towards any upfront rent payment (lets say six months worth) to a landlord to enable you to be housed.

I would be asking that question of them. Now.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Karonher wrote: »
    I dont think your salary will stop you getting rehoused - it may just mean you have to pay a higher level of rent.
    OP Karonher is correct in that currently your salary is not taken into consideration. They are not correct that you would pay more money. (This may change in 2017) Currently anyone can apply for social housing those most won't get it due to availability. When you apply for housing you automatically get put on the lowest priority you then have to apply to move to a different category.

At the current time you are not homeless as you still have a home. The council/housing association in your area is unlikely to elevate your band as you would be considered intentionally homeless. Your best course of action would be to delay the sale whilst you are looking for a rental property.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure