PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

summer's here....any salad recipes?

Comments

• researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cous-cous salad

Soak the cous-cous with it's own weight of water and a bit of a chicken stock cube, let it rest. Later add:
    chopped cucumber, spring onion, feta cheese, olives, mint, parsley, garlic, a little olive oil, salt, pepper.

Or make your own mixture. ie roasted veges with cumin seeds.

Keeps for a couple of days in the fridge - this improves as the flavour develops.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    More to be found here too:-

[post=596091] - Salad recipes[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't want to hi jack the thread but also does anybody having any salad dressing recipes? I like vinegarette dressings but don't lnow how to make them?
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    I came across this recipe about 7 years ago in a christmas good food magazine, it's called 'Mango and Pistacho stuffing' it was to go with christmas dinner, so I thought I would try it out. Anyway, we had a little with dinner - it was beautiful - but then when having a salad in the evening I brought out the rice dish (cold) and it was even better. I haven't seen this recipe anywhere since, but I make it often and everyone who tries it asks for the recipe. It's great with hot meals, on its own, and with salad and I promise you will love it, the flavours are divine. The recipe makes a full large frying pan, and whats more you can freeze it and just take it out when you want it.

Mango and Pistachio Stuffing
    2 tblsp Olive oil
    3 shallots - finely chopped
    1" root ginger
    2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
    2tsp cumin seeds
    6oz Basmati rice
    4oz shelled pistachio nuts - chopped
    3oz dried Mango - chopped
    4oz chestnut mushrooms - chopped
    3/4 pint Vegetable stock
    Seasoning

Method
    Heat oil, add shallots, garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft - not browned (stir to prevent browning).
    Add cumin, rice and nuts and stir well until all coated in oil.
    Stir in mango, mushrooms and stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 mins until rice is tender (remember to give it a stir every now and then so as not to burn or stick)
    Taste and adjust the seasoning.

There is a lot of chopping - what I do is chop everything first and put in small bowls (just like you see on cooking programmes ha!) and then just add everything as needed. I promise you it is something you will make over and over.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Sorry just noticed, if you are wondering about the 1" root ginger - grate it or finely chop it!
  • I made this up one day from store cupboard ingredients - we call it

Mexican bean salad

1/2 teaspoon chili powder (more if you like really hot)

2 tbspns mayonnaise (I sometimes mix mayonnaise half and half with natural yoghurt - I make my own so always have plenty, it makes mayo go a lot further and low fat too!)

I tin red kidney beans - drained and rinsed

1 tin sweetcorn or defrosted frozen

Can also add finely chopped onion and /or garlic

Mix together chili powder and mayo in bowl, add beans and sweetcorn - mix well - add more mayo if needed.

Leave a while for flavours to develop.

Eat as part of salad . Nice with baked pots too.

Useful as can be made in winter or on spec from cupboard
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Delia has loads of salad suggestions here

My particular favourite is the Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad with Harissa-style dressing.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • I like shredded white cabbage mixed with finely chopped onion, a handful of sultanas, a grated apple, a grated carrot and a chopped up bit of chicken and some salad cream mixed with a tbs of mango chutney and a tbs of curry powder, splash of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Sometimes I make the same mixture but instead of using the shredded white cabbage I use left over cold boiled rice.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • clarabell1984
    clarabell1984 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    Chinese noodle salad
    2 1/2 ozs. of rice noodles, uncooked weight
    2 ozs. of mushrooms
    2 ozs. of beansprouts
    1 small carrot
    2 spring onions
    1/2 tsp of sesame oil
    1 tsp of soy or tamari sauce
    1 tbs of rice vinegar
    1/2 oz. of cashew nuts

Prepare the noodles following package directions, omitting any suggested fat or salt.
    Combine the cooked noodles with chopped mushrooms, beansprouts, grated or finely sliced carrots and sliced spring onions.
    In a small bowl, mix together the sesame oil, soy sauce and vinegar and use to dress the salad. Toss well and sprinkle with cashew nuts.
    This salad makes a great packed lunch.

Korean noodle salad

1 1/2 ozs. of rice noodles, uncooked weight
    3 ozs. of mushrooms
    2 ozs. of carrot
    1 spring onion
    3 ozs. of beansprouts
    1 1/2 tsp of soy or tamari sauce
    1 tsp of sesame oil
    1 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
    1 oz. of cashew nuts

Prepare the noodles according to package directions, omitting any suggested fat and salt.
    Combine cooked and drained noodles with the vegetables and dress the salad with soy sauce, oil and vinegar. Toss well and sprinkle with cashew nuts before serving.

Eat both woth mixed salad leaves and any extra veg that you want to add! mmm... :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure