Top Junior ISAs guide: discussion

Comments

• MrGumby wrote: »
    Nationwide seems far from alone in this policy.

Who else have you found who are only allowing under 16s?
  • MrGumby wrote: »
    There are various incentives on offer, e.g. Jump (Witan) is offering a £25 John Lewis voucher for a £250 lump sum or £50 monthly/quarterly DD in a cash or investment ISA.

With an investment ISA, however, you have to take fees into account. Jump charges an annual management fee of £30 + vat p.a. which would tend to wipe out any gains on smaller investments.

By contrast, Hargreaves Lansdown offers no gifts but charges no fees either (on funds and cash, that is - 0.5% p.a. on other investments). Actually, it isn't quite that simple, but that's the gist of it.

The HL offer seems preferable, unless I'm missing something.

This is clearly a big subject that needs careful thought before buying, at least before buying a Junior investment ISA.

You also need to consider what product the Junior investment ISA converts into at age 18 and the ongoing fees once converted.
  • MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Who else have you found who are only allowing under 16s?
    I've seen several but can't remember them all. Here's one (see the answer to "Can anyone open a Junior ISA?")
    http://www.familyinvestments.co.uk/junior-isa/junior-isa-faqs/
  • The Jump Savings (Witan) offer is here - and is only running until the 31st December. I seem to remember that the government invested your CTF Voucher for you if you hadn't done so with the first year so there will not be very many people born within the time frame that don't have the accounts. Hopefully you will soon be able to switch your Child Trust Fund to a Junior ISA. There is an article about this in today's telegraph.
  • Fabius
    Fabius Posts: 26 Forumite
    MrGumby wrote: »
    Nationwide seems far from alone in this policy.

I don't think it's a policy. As 16 and 17 year olds can open standard cash ISAs already I expect that this is a rule, although I'll admit that I haven't checked.

Otherwise they'd get two years of both allowances.
  • MrGumby
    Fabius wrote: »
    I don't think it's a policy. As 16 and 17 year olds can open standard cash ISAs already I expect that this is a rule, although I'll admit that I haven't checked.

What you say is logical but some providers, at least, seem to be accepting 17-year-olds. I just started a fictitious application on the Hargreaves Lansdown website. Nothing there says they won't accept a 17-year-old and their system was happy to go ahead when I gave DoB 13/10/1994.
  • Ark_Welder
    Ark_Welder Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2011 at 11:09PM
    Ported wrote: »
    The top JISA I have found is 3.4% (fixed 1 year) at the Bank of Cyprus - PROVIDED you are an existing customer - it's a 'Loyalty' rate. Normal rate is 2.90%.

Also note that the Bank of Cyprus UK does not fall within FSCS, it comes under the Cypriot Deposit Protection Scheme: Section 8 at http://www.bankofcyprus.co.uk/Legal/

+++

Some of the following articles from the FT may be of interest (although a free registration might be needed to be able to read all of them): http://www.ft.com/investment/isas
    Living for tomorrow might mean that you survive the day after.
    It is always different this time. The only thing that is the same is the outcome.
    Portfolios are like personalities - one that is balanced is usually preferable.

• caelshorn
    caelshorn Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all,
    my daughter was born in August and I want to set up a regular saving for her. However, I already manage both my and my husbands accounts, which I'm starting to struggle with - I won't have the time & energy to manage hers as well. By "manage" I mean taking a good 1-year deal and tarting the money around every year. I read an article that SIPPs are a good investment for kids. I quite like the idea of the money being available once they reach 50, rather than 18 :) But I've just had a look at the SIPP article on here and it seems like a lot of work. Any advice on what would be a sensible low-maintenance investment with decent returns?
    Many thanks!
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that this is a valid loophole and 16-18 year olds can benefit from having both a JISA and an adult ISA in the same year. I suspect that if this is true HMRC will waste little time in closing the loophole!
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
  • MrGumby
    edited 5 November 2011 at 3:19PM
    caelshorn wrote: »
    I read an article that SIPPs are a good investment for kids. I quite like the idea of the money being available once they reach 50, rather than 18 :) But I've just had a look at the SIPP article on here and it seems like a lot of work. Any advice on what would be a sensible low-maintenance investment with decent returns?
    Many thanks!
    I think you're right - a SIPP may make more sense. I haven't read the MSE article but don't feel a SIPP needs be hard work. The easiest and, arguably, best way is probably to choose an index tracker and pretty-much forget about it for the next 50 years. You kids would, in due course, be able to get as hands-on as they chose and perhaps switch out of trackers.

Sure, there will be funds that out-perform the indices, but there will be a lot more that under-perform it, and the chances of your picking the right one(s) are fairly slim, even with careful management and periodic switching (for which you don't have time). Also, trackers have lower fees, which can have a dramatic benefit over 50 years.

Which index? Which tracker? I think you'll find the FTSE 250 has done better than the 100 or All-Share over many periods, if you examine them. Whichever index you track, check the fees before choosing a tracker product.

You could do worse than look at Hargreaves Lansdown as a provider, if you do go for a SIPP. They provide an excellent service with very low fees. (I have absolutely no connection except as a customer!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback