National Window Scrappage Scheme

Comments

• anything to do with the big window companys means some pushy salesman will come to give you an extortionate quote then after you say ooh nooo its a bit more than we can afford , he will ring his boss and drop the price , save yourselfs the aggro , phone a local window company or even your local builder and compare their prices , no salesmen claptrap to deal with then .
    big tip to get rid of nasty salesmen who dont take the word no for an answer though .... give them the wrong bank details on their super duper payment terms form.... and dont sign it with your name ......drives them mad when they try to set it all up a day or 2 later
  • SwissToni wrote: »
    Just complained, if anyone else wants to too, the online form is here:

nice one SwissToni, cant be arsed with window salesman, I had to physically chuck one out once, I gave him 30 minutes to make his pitch, I lasted an hour, I gave him a 5 minute warning to give me the price or he was out of here, "never did know how much" like that asa site, gives me chance to get loads of my chest!!!!!!:T
  • :rolleyes: Our Windows have seen well better days, but we cant afford new windows and doors and this year its been freezing, so we decided when we saw the tv, ohhh is this a new scheme, wonder if I could raise rest of the money to buy new windows..

On their website, states 35 percent off and up to 2ooo off on scrappage scheme and if its a show house then a further 40 percent off.. well that would be 75 percent off and 2000 off on scheme, they would be paying me to have windows :rotfl:so i did a bit of googling and whoops its a marketing ploy..

Best way to get rid of them if they ring is to say aw im so sorry, I HAVE JUST GONE BANKRUPT... if i get sales people now, this is what i say, and they go off the phone very very quickly :0):beer:
  • Big companies often try money off schemes which i can assure you are always a scam whatever they are knocking off they have usually put on first, using local companies like ourselves, you dont get pushy salesmen and over inflated prices we have had many customers who have been victims of pushy salesmen and not got the service they were promised, always look local first.
    You should always get a few quotes to compare and make sure they have the appropriate certification i.e FENSA
  • gerkin
    gerkin Posts: 115
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I once had the misforune of asking a large company to come and quote for 3 windows. The pushy slimy slaesman used all his crap tactics on me. He spent an hour in our house and 90% of that was !!!!!!!! coming out. Eventually he quotes 7K thinking probably that I am a mug. I told him to get his !!!! out. He then telephoned and said he has god trade prices in specially for me and revised the quote to 3K. I told him no. He then said he will drop further and final quote was 2.5K. I called a local company and their quote was 1.1K. No !!!!!!!!, he came over, took the measurements, made notes and went away and called back a day later with the quote.
  • There definitely is no government scheme, no matter how old your windows are, or how long you have lived there.
    Thanks to massive advertising most people believe there is!
    Following many complaints to the ASA, Anglian have modified their misleading ads slightly. But most window companies, including many smaller ones, have jumped on the bandwagon.
    Our own ad (I work for a small, local window company) tells people to "Call & ask us about the Window Scrappage Scheme" so we can then tell them the truth. If we don't mention it people don't call us as they think they are missing out on a discount.
    All these companies are doing with their "Scrappage Schemes" is pretending the windows cost more, then pretending to give you money off. Your windows will be no cheaper, but it must be the most convincing double glazing scam ever!
    I would avoid any company that pretends to give you this discount for your old windows. Ask yourself what else they are lying to you about....
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    i remember the old 1000 quid for yer car "in any condition" scam. in part exchange.
    their cars were 2k more than any normal garage.
    Get some gorm.
  • Am so glad that others have raised this question - we are in the same boat as many ie in desperate need of new windows with gales blowing through ours and nasty mouldy bits all over the place so the windows scheme seems to be the answer and then blow me it turns out to be a cowboy scam.
    Just wish it was easy to find decent local boys who wont ride off into the sunset shouting yee hah
  • bunnyD
    bunnyD Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hello
    I need new double glazed window. Can anyone recommend someone in London?
    thanks
  • Hi, don't know if anyone has noticed but they have now changed it to the Anglian Windows Scrappage Scheme as opposed to the National Window scrappage scheme. Hopefully this is the result of many complaints about it being false advertising.

I actually work for a local double glazing company (please don't hold it against me and no I'm not one of those horrible people that call you during dinner, nor am I trying to sell anything) and we complained to the ASA as did other local companies we know.

If anyone's looking for windows, conservatories, guttering etc I would recommend that you contact 2 or 3 local companies and compare quotes and products. I would personally steer clear of the big boys, you can occasionally get a good deal out of them if things are slow and you want to waste many hours with a salesman who's desperate enough that he'll drop his own commission but otherwise you'll likely be paying over the odds.

As a final point please go to http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/windowscrappage/ if you want there to be an actual government scrappage scheme like the one with the cars. Find out more about it at http://www.fensa.org.uk/downloads/FENSA%20calls%20on%20installers%20to%20sign%20up%20to%20Window%20Scrappage%20Scheme_Oct%2009.pdf.

Bumblesquat x
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family