PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Saving money on shampoo

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    I do mine every 3-4 days. If you change your pillowcase the day you wash your hair ,it helps.
    My hub rides a motor bike and the inside of his crash helmet contributes to the greasiness of his hair.He has it very short.
    Dont economise with washing up liquid (my mum used to and my sister had terrible scabs behind her ears as a result).
    Soap leaves your hair feeling kind of thick and dry.
    Mum used to use egg when she was a girl and rainwater.
  • I buy huge bottles from a hairdressing wholesalers called Sallys. General public can go in there too and you don't need a card, although if you know someone who is a hairdresser or a student hairdresser they get it cheaper.

It cost £3.99 + VAT for the shampoo and £4.99 + VAT for the conditinor. I think they are 5 litre tubs, but I just fill up old bottles as they are a bit big to put in the shower! It takes about seven/eight months to get through them for two of us who wash our hair everyday.
  • Jess, thanks for reminding me about Sally's. When I first went in there I thought it was some kind of club shop or that the prices didn't show tax, as it is really cheap!
  • I read in Marie Claire last week that there's no point overspending on shampoos as they are all basically just detergents. And that's from a magazine stuffed full with adverts for expensive stuff!

It did say it was worthwhile spending a bit more on conditioners, though, as they can be different.
  • Yes, the main ingredients in any shampoo seem to be water and sodium laurel sulphate.

I'm pretty sure that diet and stress are the main things that contribute to hair health.

Oh and I've just started diluting my conditioner by 50% and it works just as well!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    a friend of mine last night says he alternates washing his hair with soap and shampoo (mind you he washes it every day). and his hair is loverly and soft.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    i think it comes down to personal prefernce, but I don't believe all the technology hype.

I have tried many of the shampoos which claim to make your hair 'extra shiny' etc, but they rarely live up to their claim.

My favourite is Head and shoulders as it really works for me (and thier free samples are very generous ;D), however, my sister can't use it as it doesn't agree with her hair at all.

Oh, and I don't ever use conditioner - except when i am away from home/holiday etc as the water is so soft up here, I don't need it.

but the watering down technique suggested above is a really good one. A friend does this and puts it in a spray bottle. It's great for use on childrens hair when it gets all matted at the back! ::)
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooh, will have to try that, those detangling sprays are expensive.
  • Jeryth
    Jeryth Posts: 239 Forumite
    I have long curly hair which is prematurely grey, and sometimes have scalp dryness, but after I spalshed out on a proper haircut for my engagement party (and nearly fainted at the price) I made my own shampoo cocktail using shampoos I had treated myself to (Lush and Andrew Collinge or something like that for "mature" hair) and I use whatever conditioner my other half is using. As I suffer with back problems, hairwashing is generally a chore, and I often leave it for a month. I have occasionally used the old talc trick to disguise greasiness, and I really need to concentrate on keeping tangles (cots, I call them) at bay. But I'm never ashamed to go out of the house.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Jeryth probably telling you something you have already thought of but if you have a shower it is easy to wash your hair without having to bend over.I always do mine in the shower.I just stand with my back to the shower fitting when I want to rinse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure