PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Some goodly stuff happening here. pigpen, gotta be nosy - he took half a floorboard?

I don't know!! but he took it .. haha... decluttered :p He's a bit special.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    A bag of books for DD and DGC, and having upgraded my iron, DD gets the old one. Need to focus on getting more useless bits out. I wish our local authority did textile recycling collections.

Most of the charity bags I receive seem to be bogus covers for commercial firms, not charities at all.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Most of the charity bags I receive seem to be bogus covers for commercial firms, not charities at all.

Who cares?? they are taking away your tat (mine is tat too) for free.. if it is a business, they are paying someones wages, keeping someone in employment, a roof over their heads and feeding their children... what is so wrong in that?
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.curbthechaos.com/index.php/video-one/

This one I found very interesting indeed, I hope you can access it (I had to sign up to her newsletter to be able to watch it).
    My room is now utter chaos, I have to remove piles and piles of clothes off my bed each night (different piles at least, ah!) but I am slowly getting there. I find it ever so hard parting with clothes...how to decide what I might be wearing again and what not? I do surprise myself sometimes and dig out something great or find the perfect T for turning ito shreds whilst gardening...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

We now have shops who buy your clothes per weight. In the city they are resold in their shop but some get turned into rags or sold on to developing countries in bulk. We did a car boot sale and made about £ 70 from mainly the girls' clothes. What didn't sell went to the local cat sanctuary shop, at least I know the vet who will eventually get the money made from my stuff ;)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • dragonlily
    dragonlily Posts: 186 Forumite
    I've started the sort out of the room of doom (box room). Well until recently it looked ok visibly at least but the fitted wardrobe in there was packed full. Then we had people stay in the spare bedroom and we sorted out the winter coats from under the stairs and everything just started getting dumped in there. So as of yesterday it was a real mess.

i braved taking everything out the fitted wardrobe and it filled the room up to the rafters. Talk about making an even bigger mess to tackle the clear out.

So, it has equated to 7 large carrier bags that includes: A full set of my daughter's winter school uniform including school shoes and winter tights (5 polo shirts, two cardigans, three skirts, 6 pairs of tights). Due to growing like mad she will need all new for September so I am going to take that to the hospice shop and hopefully it might then be able to help somebody local out (they do sell things very reasonably).

Also two pairs twinkle toes and pair hello kitty trainers and a few outgrown clothes. Some soft toys. Two bags of books. Few of my clothes and some toiletries I will never us (unopened).

Then I listed 14 auctions on ebay with 3 sales so far of: two large stuffed plushes and two pairs of my daughter's outgrown shoes.

So the room is still a tip but a lot is back in the fitted wardrobe neatly. All the ebay items are in the spare bedroom and the car boot is packed with all the stuff that needs to leave the house today.

I am off work this week (much needed) and so my goal for the day is to do a healthy eating meal plan for the week, and get clean sheets on the bed in the box room and have it spotless by the time I go to bed tonight. Anything else would be a bonus x
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Two shelves thrown onto the tip pile. I will pop them into the recycling bit as they are too good to trash.

The rabbit hutch is on borrowed time outside the house with a free sign on it. If it doesn't go in the next few days off to the tip it goes.

Now what's next on the hit list.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The rabbit hutch is on borrowed time outside the house with a free sign on it. If it doesn't go in the next few days off to the tip it goes.

is it worth popping a (free) ad on gumtree?

we did a few runs to the tip with garden waste this morning. It is going to be a long and ongoing project, but it is nice to see some progress, however small.

Weather has turned here today so I'm attacking the study. It is normally a room of doom for any teacher. I've obviously been quite ruthless on previous clearouts, as there is less carp here than I anticipated.

I am fortunate to have a big cupboard in my classroom, so all school junk is being returned to live there instead of cluttering up my home.

filling up a big bag of shredded paper ready for the recycling collection on Wednesday. The bin men will have a shock at the 20+ green bags of garden waste that will also be waiting for them!!!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    is it worth popping a (free) ad on gumtree?

we did a few runs to the tip with garden waste this morning. It is going to be a long and ongoing project, but it is nice to see some progress, however small.

Weather has turned here today so I'm attacking the study. It is normally a room of doom for any teacher. I've obviously been quite ruthless on previous clearouts, as there is less carp here than I anticipated.

I am fortunate to have a big cupboard in my classroom, so all school junk is being returned to live there instead of cluttering up my home.

filling up a big bag of shredded paper ready for the recycling collection on Wednesday. The bin men will have a shock at the 20+ green bags of garden waste that will also be waiting for them!!!

I did look at this but as I'm going to the tip on Wednesday I can pop it into there re homing bit for someone else to pick up. I thought about free cycle but have been left waiting for folks to arrive the last two or three times so abandoned using it.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    fair enough. Wish our local tip would employ a similar idea, I hate seeing good products go to waste.

I've just had a lady call to collect one of my gumtree items, so that's a little more space cleared in the junk room and a few £s for the moneybox :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family